Rpm limit?

Searched but couldnt find anything, Got a briggs and straton model: 133432.

Anybody know what the rev limiter is at stock?? Or what it usuallly is on B&S 5hps?

Thanks!

cxbra

Nope, the rod will have long gone let go by then.
Not true. I have a 5hp Briggs, removed governor, intake & header. I rev the piss out of this thing on a daily basis and no problems. Check out this link.. these guys were blueprinting 5hp motors back in '94 when there were no billet rods or flywheels readily availible. If you read into it, you'll see break in on the 100% out of the box clone is a 5800rpm run for 3 HOURS.. then they tear it down and make sure nothings broken, then start porting.. Its amazing how strong these engines are, MDB told me it was because it has a good rod angle and very low compression.. essentially making 5hp in its most de-tuned form! The 6.5 clones of today have a higher comp. ratio and a sloppier rod angle, essentially making 6.5 on a stressed motor.

Heres the site:http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1118

The Briggs 5hp is Factory governed @ 3600 rpms and sometimes adjustable to 4000 rpms for I/C engines.

Removing the Governor linkage will get you up to 5500 rpms. The Intake valve spring is designed to be soft enough to keep maximum engine rpms at a safe level if the governor linkage malfunctions or if someone removes it manually.:thumbsup:

Thereby making it easier to determine what is the exact cause of engine failure during the factory warranty period.

That's why even a small performance upgrade like valve springs requires the installation of a billet Connecting Rod.

I remember when I bought my first new 5hp and I hooked up the throttle straight off the carb. I rode that thing for at least 2 years completely stock.

Last edited:

alex10

Not true. I have a 5hp Briggs, removed governor, intake & header. I rev the piss out of this thing on a daily basis and no problems. Check out this link.. these guys were blueprinting 5hp motors back in '94 when there were no billet rods or flywheels readily availible. If you read into it, you'll see break in on the 100% out of the box clone is a 5800rpm run for 3 HOURS.. then they tear it down and make sure nothings broken, then start porting.. Its amazing how strong these engines are, MDB told me it was because it has a good rod angle and very low compression.. essentially making 5hp in its most de-tuned form! The 6.5 clones of today have a higher comp. ratio and a sloppier rod angle, essentially making 6.5 on a stressed motor.

Heres the site:http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1118
I guess I'm wrong, that makes sense though because I had a 5hp on a lil indian. You could hold it pinned down a big hill and nothing would happen. :biggrin:

Tecumsehs I have blown up, one a chain snapped on the bike and I didn't let off because the bike pissed me off. Well it revved out and broke the little 3hp's rod. :laugh:

cxbra

The Briggs 5hp is Factory governed @ 3600 rpms and sometimes adjustable to 4000 rpms for I/C engines.

Removing the Governor linkage will get you up to 5500 rpms. The Intake valve spring is designed to be soft enough to keep maximum engine rpms at a safe level if the governor linkage malfunctions or if someone removes it manually.:thumbsup:

Thereby making it easier to determine what is the exact cause of engine failure during the factory warranty period.

That's why even a small performance upgrade like valve springs requires the installation of a billet Connecting Rod.

I remember when I bought my first new 5hp and I hooked up the throttle straight off the carb. I rode that thing for at least 2 years completely stock.
Nice to know :thumbsup:. I really love this engine, very reliable since its not operating under a ton of stress and because its a flathead.

ok so if i reach down and hold my little B&S 3hp bone stock wide open to reach down into the deep depths of my briggs power...to keep up with my buddy on his Rupp with a 5hp Tecumseh Enduro....i wont blow it up or wear it bad?

cxbra

Anything can break. If your running it at max rpm for a minute or two on a old engine.. who knows?? Every engine wears, and it happens to wear more the more you push it. I noticed that mine smokes a slight bit after a few top speed runs, but I think its just blown by oil into the combustion chamber (gets burned off)..

It all depends on factors, how good is the engine tuned? More importantly how long will you be at the top rpm? I only hit 5000-5500 rpm for short burst.. showin off for people haha. I generally try to keep it under 5000rpm'ish (I dont have a tachometer, just guessing) all the time and full rpm for short bursts.

ok so if i reach down and hold my little B&S 3hp bone stock wide open to reach down into the deep depths of my briggs power...to keep up with my buddy on his Rupp with a 5hp Tecumseh Enduro....i wont blow it up or wear it bad?

I actually don't know much about the 3hp motor. What you need to do is find out how many rpms it's turning at full throttle. Spinning a motor with no load on it is much worst than pulling a minibike or Kart. With a stock rod you shouldn't be turning more than 5500 rpms. The clearance between the rod bearing and crankshaft journal is the most important factor. I know that a New stock 5 hp briggs will run fine without the the governor hooked up because I was young and didn't fully understand what a governor was. So basically that information was obtained by taking a gamble and I was lucky.