Rupp engines gloss or flat?

Got bored waiting on parts that get close but not quite close enough...well you all know...so I started on the outside of that Rupp motor no one wanted....https://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/rupp-hs40.171203/.....so i let it spend a night in evaporust and it came out pretty good 5CECAA5F-9405-4688-ABDC-12014E8666E7.jpeg 93CABF2E-0DD4-48BC-A340-6D110B405550.jpeg
Then I went and bought a $23 sand blaster at harbor freight and it turned out ok..then I powder coated it with jet black waiting on decals to arrive hopefully Tuesday?!? 0CF1140C-FB7B-4F66-ADA9-69A7850D806A.jpeg 66E5E733-6393-4BD4-A04A-8E503AF62BDA.jpeg
Did the inside too

Attachments

cfh

when i do a rupp engines, i use a medium black powder coat. it's not gloss, but it's not flat either. in between. Tecumseh never sold engines that look like they were all glossed. at least that's how i remember it back in the day. and the glossy look shows every imperfection too, and is hard to keep looking good. flat doesn't look good either. so you want something in between.

I appreciate the info but I went gloss...figured what the heck...motor actually looked flat...under the grease and grime it looked gloss...oh well it’s done...

minibikefever

I painted 2 motors a couple days ago and tried a matte finish 2K clear coat I have always used the high gloss but thought I would try a matte finish this time, I'm letting them cure a couple days and putting some gloss on them tomorrow the matte is flat the motors don't look good at all, I can get whats called a semi matte in the same product guess I'll order some up and see what it looks like, my grief is that I had my decals already and it was late after I painted them and I through the decals on and when I saw how flat they were I wasn't happy, this is the first time I ever used water slide decals so I hope I can clear over them?

markus

You did it right, they were gloss out of the box, remember it was an industrial paint and they didn’t really have UV protectant/ inhibitors etc like they do today.

I would imagine your powder coat will react the same way. Use and abuse it for a few years like you would have as a kid and it will probably have fade to, will just be harder to wax it back to life than it would if it was paint.

cfh

All i can remember is back in the day motors never looked like what people are doing now in regards to gloss. And i would constantly go to the stores (and drool) over new minibikes, So i got pretty accustom to looking at them. AND i have bought, in the last couple years, some new-in-the-box, never run, Tecumseh HS40/HS50 engines. They definitely do not have that gloss look. It's not flat, but it's not super gloss either. Kind of a matte finish maybe a semi-gloss. So that's the finish i duplicate with powder coat. That super shiny black just did not ever happen from a Tecumseh factory, that i have seen, or that i remember. Not that doing a super gloss finish is bad, but i certainly have never seen anything like that on a factory motor.

Thanks for the input...I guess it really didn’t matter, I’m thinking about a 245 cam and billet rod going in this just for fun so it won’t be stock any more....

delray

You did it right, they were gloss out of the box, remember it was an industrial paint and they didn’t really have UV protectant/ inhibitors etc like they do today.

I would imagine your powder coat will react the same way. Use and abuse it for a few years like you would have as a kid and it will probably have fade to, will just be harder to wax it back to life than it would if it was paint.

just to add little to that advertisement.....lol
20171218_131354.jpg

cfh

You can go super gloss. it does look cool. but as soon as you run that motor, it will be hard to keep that look. that's why i don't go that route. too much work to maintain, and i just don't remember motors looking like that, ever. My memory could be bad though... And if you like that super gloss, you should do it. because it's your motor! ha! by the way powder coat polishes just like paint, if you want to stay with that gloss look.