Ruttman Spyder $1000

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a resto-mod. Rear axle supports were removed and replaced with thicker ones to support adults. I turned all of the spacers on the axles including the sprocket to get them accurate, including center spacers. The motor plate is new, and thicker than the stock one. Fresh bearings of course, chrome bolts on the bars, quality stuff everywhere, because otherwise, these bikes were crap. But this one will support a fat ass. I'm 205 pounds, and it moves me OK.

The fenders are cut down vintage Cat/Muskin fenders for their spoked wheels. (Rims) I used those instead of the Azusa fenders because they are the correct 4" wide. I had them chromed, along with the fork legs, and handlebars.

Paint is HOK kandy red over a silver metallic base followed by a urethane clear. Not my best work, obvious screw up on the fork trees where I'm a tad light. I also didn't bother making fork stops, so the trees hit the frame making a dent in the paint there. Good thing is that if you do it again, it's not a problem- it's already nicked.

I used a big ass tire in the back. I did this to keep with my "fat ass" rider plan. I do have a small tire that matches the front to make it look more dainty. The chain rubs the fat tire a bit, but doesn't cause any problems. Probably would at 60 MPH, but we all know we'd need a 32.50 HP Predator for that.

The motor is another one of my hot rod Tecumseh's. I've given Delray from here plenty of props on this design, and do so again. I got the bare bones from my friend Skipp on here, and it had a new piston and I think new valves. I cut the seats gently with a Neway cutter, then tested them for leaks using my lips and dish soap. I reamed the crap out of the intake and exhaust chambers to handle the air flow. It's got a billet rod from ARC in it, a custom ground camshaft from Dyno (I ran a cam card on this motor and have posted it several places) and has the 18 LB Briggs springs, perches and keepers. The carburetor is an actual $135 VM22 Mikuni, and the intake manifold was turned from a piece of billet on my 1947 Southbend lathe. It's tapped for a vacuum port which powers a small fuel pump. This is necessary whenever the fuel inlet is at, or above the level of the tank outlet. Exhaust is custom made from some stainless steel exhaust tubing I had.

The seat is probably original. Heck, you see what it is. The chrome bill alone was $500, the engine parts, the new wheels, and the rigging were way more than the $1000 I am asking for. What can I say? Just another over-restored mini bike!

Oh, PS. The main jet on that Mikuni is a tad too big. On the top end, it gets too fat, and under load is probably impossible to over rev. For those of you who tune Mikunis, I have the needle all the way in, so it's fat all the way around. It still gets up and moves.

Shipping is on you. I am not going to take it apart. It is happy in my garage next to my other crap, and when I ride it, people think I'm super cool. In the video, the illegal immigrants building that house were laughing and waving as I blew past them. Bike mover vans and trailers come in through here all the time though, so a shipper shouldn't be a problem.

Here is a video. I used to be less ugly, and fatter. Note that the start is easy, effortless, and done on a cold engine.

PM's Only. Hugs and Kisses! HD

IMG_4667.JPG IMG_4667.JPG IMG_4668.JPG IMG_4669.JPG IMG_4670.JPG

Last edited:

Midyrman

A Bonanza guy from my youth,, many but not disclosed decades to the present day,,,, is now a Ruttman fan. What more can you say.

Ok attention prospective buyers…..I will be out in AZ soon and will be happy to transport this bike back towards the east coast…..pm for particulars…..

Nothing was left undone on this machine. I took what it was and made it better. Let's work out a deal. Trade me your large caliber hand gun, rifle, vintage motorcycle engine. If you live along whatever Interstate Skipp is taking back to the East, maybe that would help. I don't know. I got twice what I'm asking into it just in parts and chrome. I can even put on a matching rear tire. Heck, I'll toss it in with the deal, still in the plastic.

New fork lowers and spring perches
New Engine Mount
New Heavy Duty Rear Axle Mounts
New Foot Pegs
4" Fenders, not those 4 1/2" Fenders everyone else uses
New Wheels, (rims for you millennials who don't know any better)
Fresh Chrome on bars, fenders, lowers, kick stand.
Fresh HS40 with new piston and valves.
Dyno Cam
Raptor Valve Train
ARC Billet Rod
(Real) Mikuni Carburetor
Billet Intake Manifold

Right.JPG Left.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.