Saving an old Briggs 3HP (1969)

OK I have an old Mike Bike that I have owned since it was new. We ran them for maybe 4 years then parked it in a garage/barn. I am rebuilding it and have it down to the bare motor (flywheel and clutch off, head off) the piston and cylinder look real good. Exhaust valve is caked up but probably still OK. Should I take it the rest of the way apart and replace the gaskets and seals? it's an 80202?

Also would you keep the original comet clutch on it? if so what rehab/lube etc. Get done?

IMG_1286.JPG IMG_1302.JPG

Gaskets and Seals are real cheap for these motors. I tend to take mine completely apart, to clean out the old oil. It's up to you! The piston looks good :thumbsup: And If it was only run for 4 years in its 46? year life then its pretty much new... :laugh:

Good luck!

la1

I have 2 80202's one is on a tiller the other I bought for $10 a long time ago. I plan to overhaul both this summer. I believe the PTO side of the crank has a roller bearing that you need an arbor press to remove. What condition are the roller bearings usually?

80202 has plain bearings, as in no bearings other than the aluminum of the block/side cover.
80212 has flange plain bearings, as in a bearing insert in the block/side cover.
80222 has ball bearing
80232 has flange ball bearing

There are others, but this is the short list to look for.
First number displacement.
Second number design series.
The third number is type of carb. 2 for horizontal Pulsa-Jet
The fourth number tells bearings, gear reduction, aux drive and other stuff.
The last number is type of starter.

80202 has plain bearings, as in no bearings other than the aluminum of the block/side cover.
80212 has flange plain bearings, as in a bearing insert in the block/side cover.
80222 has ball bearing
80232 has flange ball bearing

There are others, but this is the short list to look for.
First number displacement.
Second number design series.
The third number is type of carb. 2 for horizontal Pulsa-Jet
The fourth number tells bearings, gear reduction, aux drive and other stuff.
The last number is type of starter.
I have a 3hp briggs tore apart now and I want to redo it. I have no experience with these flat heads at all the model number is a 80302. from what I understand it's a 60 something. do you know what I would need to do a overhaul on this motor like I know I need gaskets and probably rings but could you guide me in the right direction and possibly were I can find the parts. it's all there but I just want to freshen up the motor. I don't think it ran when I got it. and there was rust in the tank so I never tried to start it. it's a cool motor though all copper color.