screwed up!!

okay, installed arc rod, flywheel,18 lb. valve springs and my hf 6.5 developed a knock. pulled the side coverand found cam and crank gears had rubbed the side case a little. upon further inspection, found side to side play in the rod-crank. so...obviously the bearing went away. would i be better off buying another engine and swapping out mod parts and if so, what bearing would be needed on a new crank?or what? my torque converter just got shipped and i still need to buy a header, so like the monkey said when he %!$$&@ in the cash register, this is runnin' into money.

C9H13NO3

Fine debris? Buy a new engine/block. Too much of a risk that there will be damage done to the case and that damage could case further damage.

powdery, i guess if the rod looks ok,maybe do the parts swap. what about the bearing size for the new crank?(evidently, my plastigauge interpretation was in error)

i think the most economical route would be to buy a new hf engine and do the mod swap (and get a new billet rod if mine shows damage) i appreciate all the help and i'm pretty sure i'll ask for more.y'all all have a warm and merry christmas with your loved ones.
bwana

i think the most economical route would be to buy a new hf engine and do the mod swap (and get a new billet rod if mine shows damage) i appreciate all the help and i'm pretty sure i'll ask for more.y'all all have a warm and merry christmas with your loved ones.
bwana
The most economical would be to buy a block from Nr-racing. 1/2 the price of a new engine.

125ccCrazy

The most economical would be to buy a block from Nr-racing. 1/2 the price of a new engine.
true but what if the crank journal is scored? thats another added expense, plus side cover if it's worn from the cam and crank bearing rubbing it...

a new engine will yield a spare head to play around with, extra tin to paint up, recoil ect ect..

also when you got it running did you run it easy for a few tanks of gas before romping on the throttle or did you just hammer on it right away?...

Side to side movement from the rod is normal, just as long as it's not too excessive..Look at the rod and see if there is wear on the sides, if not the rod should be fine...I would replace the bearing if it looks like it has any wierd wear marks on it or score marks..

You will notice wear on the side cover simply because the cam and crank rub the cover ever so slightly...if it's excessive you probably didn't have any end play on the crank and should have maybe doubled up on the cover gaskets...I had to do that on my clones....some gaskets made by different companys are different thicknesses, you wouldn't notice it much until the cover was bolted down and you checked your end play.....On 5hp briggs flatheads they sell cover gaskets in various thicknesses to set the end play on the crank...

I set my end play so I can just get a little movement but not slap the crank back and forth....Others may have different oppinions on doing this...It should be done with a dial indicator to spec I suppose but this method has never let me down to date...

No end play will cause premature wear and failure...

I would definitely take it apart and see what's up before you start buying new stuff. Also, you need to try to determine what caused the problem so you do not replicate it if you do have to get new parts.

true but what if the crank journal is scored? thats another added expense, plus side cover if it's worn from the cam and crank bearing rubbing it...

a new engine will yield a spare head to play around with, extra tin to paint up, recoil ect ect..

also when you got it running did you run it easy for a few tanks of gas before romping on the throttle or did you just hammer on it right away?...

Side to side movement from the rod is normal, just as long as it's not too excessive..Look at the rod and see if there is wear on the sides, if not the rod should be fine...I would replace the bearing if it looks like it has any wierd wear marks on it or score marks..

You will notice wear on the side cover simply because the cam and crank rub the cover ever so slightly...if it's excessive you probably didn't have any end play on the crank and should have maybe doubled up on the cover gaskets...I had to do that on my clones....some gaskets made by different companys are different thicknesses, you wouldn't notice it much until the cover was bolted down and you checked your end play.....On 5hp briggs flatheads they sell cover gaskets in various thicknesses to set the end play on the crank...

I set my end play so I can just get a little movement but not slap the crank back and forth....Others may have different oppinions on doing this...It should be done with a dial indicator to spec I suppose but this method has never let me down to date...

No end play will cause premature wear and failure...
You have me on that one. A spare head and crank could come in handy. But the Nr-racing blocks do come with a sidecover so if he only needs a block that would be the cheapest.

125ccCrazy

You have me on that one. A spare head and crank could come in handy. But the Nr-racing blocks do come with a sidecover so if he only needs a block that would be the cheapest.
LOL yeah extra parts are always good...plus by the time you add shipping for the block (prob $15 to $20+) it gets closer to the $99 price for the whole thing at HF..