Sears Roper Bearings

Hey yous, what type and size bearings am I ordering for these Roper wheels? And the rear wheel on the right has a spacer that not only goes the length of the inside wheel ,like the front on the left does, but sticks out on both sides. Do I need to keep it like that or can I get new bearings and just use the axle? I assume I need to tap these out to get behind the bearings to tap them out anyway.

Ok so I knocked the spacer and the bearings out pretty easily actually. After that Stellar rear wheel from hell , all other rust issues seem easy actually. So does anyone remember what size bearings they ordered when they might have done their Roper's bearings? These would be smaller than the 5/8ths ones I order for the Stellar. And would I get a snap ring on them? And that "spacer" isnt really a spacer if it rides the inside of the bearings rather than behind them, no? Without them the axle would seem to be too small in the bearing. So my question regarding their necessity is moot I guess.

Inside the 40 year plus old wheel:

Hey JT

I have run into that same set up on some of my bikes and solved it two ways

Not sure on the o/d of your bearings but prob 1 3/8

It is most likley a 1/2 axle with the tube running in a 5/8 bearing

I have replaced the axle with 5/8 bolt on one bike just had to drill the forks out bigger on one bike

On another bike I used a bearing with 1/2 i/d and saved axle but cut the tube down as an internal spacer on anather bike

Hope this makes sense I am starting to confuse myself lol

Hey JT

I have run into that same set up on some of my bikes and solved it two ways

Not sure on the o/d of your bearings but prob 1 3/8

It is most likley a 1/2 axle with the tube running in a 5/8 bearing

I have replaced the axle with 5/8 bolt on one bike just had to drill the forks out bigger on one bike

On another bike I used a bearing with 1/2 i/d and saved axle but cut the tube down as an internal spacer on anather bike

Hope this makes sense I am starting to confuse myself lol
Yeah bigrob that makes perfect sense. My first thought was just throw in some extra 5/8th ID x 1 3/8 OD bearing I've got left over because I have two 5/8ths axles. But the 1 3/8 OD bearings fit very loosly in the wheel. I don't mind reusing the tubes and 1/2 in axles. I did find the link below that lists the actual parts on the model Roper I have. The bearings are listed as avilable and I just ordered 4. Hopefully that they are flanged bearings they fit.

UNIT Diagram & Parts List for Model 13180708 Craftsman-Parts Motorcycle-Parts | SearsPartsDirect

Hey just as an aside, look at the size of the foot brake scrubber in that diagram. WTF? No way it was that big, was it? I've seen survivor bikes. Not sure I noticed how big the scrubber was on the brake.

I have bedded in bearings that the receiver was worn with JB weld , it is actually one of the real uses for it

It works good for filling a void rather than gluing something together like most people try and fail

and that scrub brake looks like a wheel chock for a big rig lol

Last edited:
No the 1/2 " axle should be fine , but you should really have a spacer between the bearings , as they are not designed to take the side load of tightening the forks on them