Sears Roper - Original engine?

markus

There were 2 engines that the chrome version Ropers got in the short period they were made for 1970 model year. They were both Craftsman 4hp engines based off the Tecumseh HS40 The first/early ones were black with a nelson type round muffler and reinforcement bracket, and the later/last ones were Hunter green with the new at that time Taylor exhaust.

The hunter green ones (later 1970) were 143 617032 stamped engines. Would have been post October of 1970. I am not 100% sure the part number for the Black versioned ones offhand, but you can see the differences comparing the catalog pics and this survivor

here is the later in the year Hunter green version with the revisions/updates (lot of fun fully rebuilding that one while not damaging original paint!): IMG_6519.JPG IMG_6520.JPG IMG_6521.JPG

One Incorrect thing to note on the above engine, The recoil should be riveted not bolted, unfortunately the recoil was missing when that bike was originally puchased, I located a same color paint Craftsman engine of some equipment to use which was bolt on so I altered the shroud to accept bolts/nuts in order to retain original paint.

Thank
There were 2 engines that the chrome version Ropers got in the short period they were made for 1970 model year. They were both Craftsman 4hp engines based off the Tecumseh HS40 The first/early ones were black with a nelson type round muffler and reinforcement bracket, and the later/last ones were Hunter green with the new at that time Taylor exhaust.

The hunter green ones (later 1970) were 143 617032 stamped engines. Would have been post October of 1970. I am not 100% sure the part number for the Black versioned ones offhand, but you can see the differences comparing the catalog pics and this survivor

here is the later in the year Hunter green version with the revisions/updates (lot of fun fully rebuilding that one while not damaging original paint!): View attachment 269846 View attachment 269847 View attachment 269848

One Incorrect thing to note on the above engine, The recoil should be riveted not bolted, unfortunately the recoil was missing when that bike was originally puchased, I located a same color paint Craftsman engine of some equipment to use which was bolt on so I altered the shroud to accept bolts/nuts in order to retain original paint.

here is the later in the year Hunter green version with the revisions/updates (lot of fun fully rebuilding that one while not damaging original paint!): View attachment 269846 View attachment 269847 View attachment 269848

thank you for taking the time to reply. Very informative info. Thanks again

After finding out the B&S engine I had was not going to fit into my roper frame because of the gas tank hitting angled frame member I thought I’d find a modern engine. Nope, those don’t work either. So I bit the bullet and bought this engine. The seller told me has put a “billet rod” in it. Not knowing much about mechanics in summing he means a billet aluminum connecting rod between crank and piston. I have assumptions as to why this billet rod is better but they are only animations so if someone could tell me about these rods and any comments in this engine would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Attachments

I Have a roper... and you can run a briggs
The particular Briggs I have has the tank on back with carb attached to it which hit the frame. I asked a small engine guy if you couldn’t just put on a different carb and move the tank. He said no but I’m not sure I believe that. Then I saw the engine I posted and liked it.

The bolt on very bottom of engine plate removes to slid motor plate forward .. make plates for bolt .. notice in last pic. Shortens frame length . Allows for Briggs tank
Well I guess there’s that way too. That Briggs looks like mine and it fits just fine in yours lol. But thanks for posting those pix because I got a good look at the jackshaft Assy which mine is missing. I’ll have to put one together pretty soon here.

The bolt on very bottom of engine plate removes to slid motor plate forward .. make plates for bolt .. notice in last pic. Shortens frame length . Allows for Briggs tank
Hi. That jackshaft, the shaft size, 1/2” or 5/8ths and if I could ask, what is the ,,,, 3 or 4 inch round disc??? mounted on the same shaft? Clutch??

Of its like mine it’s a 5/8” shaft with spacers on it...on mine the spacer seperates the driver and the sprocket....yours appears to have a brake drum if I had to guess....and I assume the sprocket in the other side...

Of its like mine it’s a 5/8” shaft with spacers on it...on mine the spacer seperates the driver and the sprocket....yours appears to have a brake drum if I had to guess....and I assume the sprocket in the other side...
Okay thanks. I figured that I should be getting a 5/8 shaft. Mine still has NO brakes, that’s another issue I have to address. Seems winter has come early to SD so I have some time