Sears Roper scub brake clip

I have searched all over the forum for a good pic of that spring clip that goes on the Sears Roper scrub brake to no avail. I knows its been a topic many times but can someone post a pic here from an angle like this if they have one or know of one? Thanks.

Maybe if i open the loops on the end a bit and put it not on the bolt but the arm of the brake itself, the clip will push the bottom of the pad out and the top of the pad in, thus avoiding the tire from catching the top edge of the pad and destroying it?

I have several birds w/scrub brakes and I've never seen that clip ? Not arguing that it doesn't belong just ignorant to it . Mine just kinda float loosely and no problems I have however thought of welding a small aluminum eyelet to top back side of pad and attach spring to that , all problems solved !

Ok but then a lot of hangs below the pad. And which way does it face?
It looks like you have it positioned correct but you may want to try having the lower part in front of the bolt that holds the pad onto the arm rather than behind it. That way it would keep the lower portion of the pad pressed inward and the top away from the tire. This would keep the pad from say catching the tread of the tire since it's travelling towards the brake pad.

It looks like you have it positioned correct but you may want to try having the lower part in front of the bolt that holds the pad onto the arm rather than behind it. That way it would keep the lower portion of the pad pressed inward and the top away from the tire. This would keep the pad from say catching the tread of the tire since it's travelling towards the brake pad.
Yeah, I was just hanging it there for the pic but as you say putting it behind the bolt will cause it to push against the lower part of the pad. So you agree it should hang on the brake arm and not the bolt? I'd have to pry the "hooks" open slightly to do that. Putting it on the bolt makes a lot of this clip hang below the pad. Therefor touching nothing. Put its possible I have the wrong pad on this bike and it's supposed to be longer? I did pick up a few different ones along the way. I have an El Tigre that uses these too. I think there is a longer one in my box of parts.

There is no picture floating around of this? Does anyone have a survivor bike with one of these on? Thinking I'll just pull the top of the pad back with another spring until I see one.

I remember years ago the late GREAT OldMiniBikes member "Yellowhand" (RIP) telling me that they originally came with a torsion spring to keep the tire from pivoting into the tire tread. He also said that they did not last very long which could explain why you do not see one, even on survivor bikes. On my son's Sears Ropers we attached a very small tension (stretch) spring toward the top of the scrub pad and it worked very good. You have to play with the spring size, length and tension a bit to get it right.Too much tension and you will pivot the BOTTOM of the scrub pad into the tire.I remember that there was thread on this topic a few years back and various members posted photos of what they did.
Michael

Another viable solution which I have done on a custom scrub brake on a stretched Cat using a Bird pad was to simply drill a 1/4" hole just above the bolt mounting hole , drill thru pad and thru the steel flat bar and insert a 1/4" bolt to lock pad into a fixed position , worked great for me ! Funny Michael , that's why I have 4 different Birds and have never seen that clip :doah:

Here is what i did with mine when i rebuilt my old sears bike. I think Michael (Creia) explained it to me a couple years ago. I found this pic, and it works well.

Pat

Oops, top spring connects to the aluminum scrub brake

Last edited:
Here is what i did with mine when i rebuilt my old sears bike. I think Michael (Creia) explained it to me a couple years ago. I found this pic, and it works well.

Pat

Oops, top spring connects to the aluminum scrub brake
mrpat is correct, that is what my son did on his bike- worked great!
Michael

Thanks all very good solutions. I was just hoping, since I have the clip, I could see how its used. I'll prob do it like one of these ways initially until I find out how the clip goes. Actually Im sure AJax is right and I'll be doing it like that. In the meantime I think I'll have copies made of this thing. That is, if anyone is interested?