Seats

desert rat

Where is everyone getting their seats from? Karen is backed up for months and Kenny seems to have disappeared. Does anyone know of another source?
Do you have an original seat and a picture of what it should look like? I do have a lady that can do them. I am the gate keeper for her, her job is resto, customs and prototypes. The way we have done this in the past is you PM me your info I pass it on, if she has time you will get a call. She is new to mini bikes so you have to know what you want.

Do you have an original seat and a picture of what it should look like? I do have a lady that can do them. I am the gate keeper for her, her job is resto, customs and prototypes. The way we have done this in the past is you PM me your info I pass it on, if she has time you will get a call. She is new to mini bikes so you have to know what you want.
I don't have the pattern or dimensions. It is for a ~1968 Fox Doodlebug as in the attached picture.
foxbik2.jpg

mustangfrank

Where is everyone getting their seats from? Karen is backed up for months and Kenny seems to have disappeared. Does anyone know of another source?
Follow-up post with results when you find someone or use desert rat's connection, please. I'm in the same predicament for 2+ seats I need, I would rather get one from someone that does minibike seats regularly for my correct, restoration seats.

nightgrider

I don't know this for fact, but by looking at the advertisements that I've seen. I'd assume that it is sewn up the back with the sides folded under and stapled to the base. Or the sides are extended to create the back and a French seam is used. The RH image is my rough understanding of what the pattern would be shaped like. Though I'm sure someone with more experience will correct me. Haha

1627489731570.png

mustangfrank

Just some junk she did for me from pictures only, no pattern. Jay Leno likes her work. She also has done Jerry Springfield Porsche and just did his Fiat. Ya she may be new to mini's but mini bikes will never pay her bills.
That's the problem, those look great but trying to find someone to closely replicate some seats is difficult, especially without the original seat for a pattern. We have several good trim shops in and around Detroit but my little job is more of an annoyance than an entire interior or boat. Heat seams and silk screening logos are too "old school" or deal killers for a couple shops I have talked to.

My old interior guy Roger in Mount Clemens retired or is MIA as of a few years ago, man I miss the convenience of a go-to guy!

The shops that feature motorcycle seats seem to be a little more interested.

nightgrider

I'm not sure how close in size are a doodlebug and a campus frame. But judging by the advertisement the seat base should span from the bend in the frame to the taillight pan. 21" on a campus. Also just by eyeballing the proportions from the ad. It looks taller in the back than my custom seat. So I'd guess about 5.5-6". The front looks to be about half as tall as the back, around 3" or so.

Attachments

Last edited:

nightgrider

That's the problem, those look great but trying to find someone to closely replicate some seats is difficult, especially without the original seat for a pattern. We have several good trim shops in and around Detroit but my little job is more of an annoyance than an entire interior or boat. Heat seams and silk screening logos are too "old school" or deal killers for a couple shops I have talked to.

My old interior guy Roger in Mount Clemens retired or is MIA as of a few years ago, man I miss the convenience of a go-to guy!

The shops that feature motorcycle seats seem to be a little more interested.
@mustangfrank, Tom's Custom Upholstery in Troy, MI assembled my seat. He didn't make the cover, but cut the foam and used the cover I brought him. He was pretty easy to work with, and I'm sure would have done the cover for me if I would have asked. So he most likely wouldn't blow off your job. Though he didn't give me solid completion date. He told me to call him back in a week. When I called he told me another week. Not a huge deal. I assume it was due to the fact that it was a small job and he was just working my seat in in-between larger jobs.

https://www.tomscustomupholstery.com/

desert rat

@mustangfrank, Tom's Custom Upholstery in Troy, MI assembled my seat. He didn't make the cover, but cut the foam and used the cover I brought him. He was pretty easy to work with, and I'm sure would have done the cover for me if I would have asked. So he most likely wouldn't blow off your job. Though he didn't give me solid completion date. He told me to call him back in a week. When I called he told me another week. Not a huge deal. I assume it was due to the fact that it was a small job and he was just working my seat in in-between larger jobs.

https://www.tomscustomupholstery.com/
You got that right, small jobs are like fly's when your tiring to eat

mustangfrank

He still only took 2 weeks which isn't awful. He probably would been more interested in the job if I'd had him make the cover. But he was still willing to take on the job and his price was reasonable.
I've heard good things about them/him. I've used a shop on my side of town for some Ford bronco seats and a custom minibike seat with no complaints, problem is the correct resto type seats like a Super Bronc and a Bonanza MX I need done. One shop wanted me to source all the cover materials and correct piping...F that...if I gotta get that involved and buy way more than I'd ever use I'm buying a sewing machine!