Share your most expensive powdercoating quote...

$310 to media blast and powdercoat a frame, fork, engine tins, wheels, hubs, bars, etc.
doesnt seem to much, seriously, have you tried media blasting? or maybe even thought of the equipment costs, compressors, suits, media? not even the powder overhead, just media side of it, also have to pay someone to do the blasting and that takes time, for each and every piece, the old stuff just doesnt dissapeer so easily.
Once you get the items stripped, then you can wash and rinse, hang and prebake approx 45 minutes to dry and make sure any hidden oils and crap seep out now during this stage and then let cool down and clean again. once thats done, then you can mask and tape and plug all openings and threaded spots, any critical mating areas (have you priced high heat tape lately?) all of this takes time, easier said than done but anyways, once its all taped and plugged, then you can apply the powder, bake to cure, hope like hell it doesnt screw up so it doesnt have to get done twice and let cool down and remove all the crap and stuff. This happens for each and every item, ovens are running all day and so are the compressors and lights. materials and consumables in the powder side add up also. powder costs a crapload, the gun, if you buy a good one is in the 5k range, blah blah blah
Just kinda giving you a view of the path an item should take when its out for powder work.
always check the quality of their work, ask to see something they have done recently, you want powder work that looks crisp and clean and not fat or heavy so to speak.
I like to think I have it down to a science as well as artwork.
www.YourPowderCoating.com

buckeye

Well, I was going to say 125 for rims but, pretty cheap after reading all of that.
I looked in your photo gallery. Really nice work.
The red rim with chrome, is that coated? The chrome that is? That would be a great alternative to real chrome. Less expensive?

I was quoted $150 to blast and powdercoat a tonykart frame. No other parts. The frame had been stripped clean of the previous powdercoat and was down to bare metal when I brought it. When I went to drop it off he now said it was 350 to do it and it would be done in a week. I had driven there and decided to go ahead and do it to see how I liked it. 10 days later I called them and they had not done it. I was on a deadline to get this cart in a show so I told him to leave it alone I would come and pick it up. When I got there it was sandblasted. I asked why he did that as I was going to paint it and now I would have to use a high build prime to get a good surface and he said they had left it out and it had surface rust from getting rained on. Boy scratch that place from ever getting my business. It costs me less than 75 dollars to paint a frame like that with imron which is very durable and chemical resistant. That includes stripper epoxy primer and the imron. (that is for me to do it myself)

Well, I was going to say 125 for rims but, pretty cheap after reading all of that.
I looked in your photo gallery. Really nice work.
The red rim with chrome, is that coated? The chrome that is? That would be a great alternative to real chrome. Less expensive?

thats real chrome scuffed for the red adhesion. the powdered chrome sucks, it is no where near as bright as real chrome

Last edited:
From what I've read chrome powder is decent BUT once you clear coat it and you need to, it's not so good. So if you see pictures of chrome powder that look good (and like chrome), it's probably before the clear coat.

From what I've read chrome powder is decent BUT once you clear coat it and you need to, it's not so good. So if you see pictures of chrome powder that look good (and like chrome), it's probably before the clear coat.
truth! its bright and ok for indoor use, but to be weather durable, needs a high gloss clear and it dulls it to a polished aluminum look.