Shorter gas tank needed for 5HP Briggs.

I would raise the engine an inch and look it over.
The bigger tank works best for us on bumpy trails, you can run half full and not have any leakage.

I had the same problem with my little indian build off bike in 2017 lil geronimo had to use three horse tank and carb not as deep or wide as the 5hp just had to make a lower mount if you look it up you will be able to see the differance

markus

OK Thanks. On the lookout for a 3HP tank
Keep in mind that they did offer an XL sized (same as the 4-5hp) with the shorter 3hp brackets.....you dont want to end up with one of those as you'll get the same size tank that you have currently!

next to each other you can really see the difference but on its own it can be kinda hard to tell....The smaller tank the cap/fill is right at the rear corner, the bigger one is in off the back edge about an inch in the era style tank you are looking for at least.

Hideous spraybombed one is the 3hp Larger size, OG paint is the standard 3hp size. (you will also need the shorter pickup tube installed on your carb if you just buy a tank for the smaller one)

IMG_1298.JPG

Note the shorter bracket assembly on the bottom compared to a standard 4-5hp (3hp wont have the throttle bellcrank parts on it or the U shape at the mounting ear)
IMG_1298.JPG IMG_1299.JPG IMG_1300.JPG

markus

Markus that is incredibly helpful! Thank you!
no problem, another option as well, but pre dates your version of the bike by a year or so, is Fox did offer the Trail bug with a 4hp medium frame Tecumseh on it. They mounted the stock steel tank off the Tec medium frame engine onto rear of the frame. I wasn't sold on that ever actually making past the brochure because they offered a 4hp briggs at the same time , but, as you now know though the briggs 4-5 hp wont fit that frame :) but one did in fact show up recently either on here or facebook that still had the tank bracket on it at least. Could do a stand alone float carb on it that way in a pinch.

you can see it here bottom left of the 1967 brochure:

no problem, another option as well, but pre dates your version of the bike by a year or so, is Fox did offer the Trail bug with a 4hp medium frame Tecumseh on it. They mounted the stock steel tank off the Tec medium frame engine onto rear of the frame. I wasn't sold on that ever actually making past the brochure because they offered a 4hp briggs at the same time , but, as you now know though the briggs 4-5 hp wont fit that frame :) but one did in fact show up recently either on here or facebook that still had the tank bracket on it at least. Could do a stand alone float carb on it that way in a pinch.

you can see it here bottom left of the 1967 brochure:

I always wondered about that model with the tank mounted on the back. I'd like to see that out of curiosity. I found this on my local FB market place. 3HP. Does this look right?

Attachments

markus

I always wondered about that model with the tank mounted on the back. I'd like to see that out of curiosity. I found this on my local FB market place. 3HP. Does this look right?

yea that looks like the smaller standard 3hp tank. It never clicked with me as to why they offered that bike like that either (with the medium frame Tec and remote tank) They even had some type of offset engine brackets that had to be used in conjunction with the H40 that is in the parts list. Your situation brings it to light though......learn something new everyday, sorry for your fitment troubles but thanks for showing the reason :D They didn't have that issue the next year with your bike.....the HS40 would have just came out for that year and the problem was solved!