Skate board wheels for chain / belt tensioners.

I74

Here’s a pic of my rollerblade wheels that I used for the wheelie bar. I doubled up on them for stability.

It worked really well and it kept the bike stable. Bike races 100ft drags is on bars the whole track.
Even though they are cheap to buy, but would eventually fail so I replaced them with Engel drag wheels.

The Engel wheels have performed great and I like the look. They cost a lot more than the rollerblade wheels though.
Those look just like Skateboard wheels.
Am guessing they are Polyurathane ?

Fourtogo

The theory is , when you leave . If your not perfectly horizontal it allows you to ride it out . Most wheelie bars being used now are on the short side . A longer bar allows a smoother transition at start, and the ability use the power WFO . Under a wider range of circumstances and conditions. Generally you should be setup . To be underpower with front wheel about 2-2 1/2” off the ground .

joshua. c.

on one of my bikes I used an old trash scateboard wheel I got from a skating and surf shop and used it as a tensioner. my dad helped me by machining the groove for the chain. it worked grate and solved my derailment issues since the bike was a hard tail and the chain was tighter and couldn't shake side to side any more.

The theory is , when you leave . If your not perfectly horizontal it allows you to ride it out . Most wheelie bars being used now are on the short side . A longer bar allows a smoother transition at start, and the ability use the power WFO . Under a wider range of circumstances and conditions. Generally you should be setup . To be underpower with front wheel about 2-2 1/2” off the ground .
Thanks for that helpful info!
Makes a lot of sense

I need to fab up something like this for the ARCO. The pivot arc on the rear swing arm changes at you hit bumps causing it to lose tension and pop, off the chain goes.... I guess I should mock this up before I sand blast and powder coat!!

I need to fab up something like this for the ARCO. The pivot arc on the rear swing arm changes at you hit bumps causing it to lose tension and pop, off the chain goes.... I guess I should mock this up before I sand blast and powder coat!!
Do you have a jackshaft? You need one with a swingarm. It should be as close to the swingarm pivot as possible (ideally the jackshaft would be the swingarm pivot) and in line with pivot and rear axle at mid suspension travel.

There what I'm calling, from the ATV/Dirtbike world, a swing arm shaft. With regards to a jackshaft, I have pictured in my head clutch to jackshaft/sprocket then on opposite side of the bike would be another sprocket on the jackshaft then to the rear sprocket on the wheel. Do I have this right in my head?

There what I'm calling, from the ATV/Dirtbike world, a swing arm shaft. With regards to a jackshaft, I have pictured in my head clutch to jackshaft/sprocket then on opposite side of the bike would be another sprocket on the jackshaft then to the rear sprocket on the wheel. Do I have this right in my head?
It can transfer the drive to the other side but doesn't have to, you can have two adjacent sprockets on a jackshaft and keep the final drive on the same side as the clutch. I have some knowledge of jackshafts but no personal experience with them, there are members with plenty of experience who could help you.

With swingarm suspension and no jackshaft, you would need a spring-loaded chain tensioner with fairly long travel at the very least, maybe a chain guide or two. You might be able to make it work. Swingarm bikes typically have a jackshaft, though.

I74

Just got a set of 50mm Skateboard wheels for 10 bucks from TGM Skateboards outside of Detroit.
The compound is what they call a ''99'', which is pretty much one of the hardest.
The first one I did was surprisingly easier to cut & finish than I thought it would be.
Chain runs super smooth & true now.;)
Looks like I will try it out Sun. afternoon, 12/22. It's supposed to get up into the upper 40's.
I 100_5863.JPG 100_5866.JPG

Just got a set of 50mm Skateboard wheels for 10 bucks from TGM Skateboards outside of Detroit.
The compound is what they call a ''99'', which is pretty much one of the hardest.
The first one I did was surprisingly easier to cut & finish than I thought it would be.
Chain runs super smooth & true now.;)
Looks like I will try it out Sun. afternoon, 12/22. It's supposed to get up into the upper 40's.
I View attachment 253944 View attachment 253945
Lathe and mandrel? I have a donated DB30S that has a sick tensioner.

I74

Lathe and mandrel? I have a donated DB30S that has a sick tensioner.
Actually,, a De walt cordless drill laying flat on the bench edge, with the wheel chucked up in it hanging over,, with a trash can under to catch the debris. '' LOL'' :D
You want to darn sure that you have the wheel chucked up well & true.;)
I put the bearings & spacer in the wheel first, then used an 8mm bolt, longer than the one used for the tensioner.
Then you use a wider washer up against the wheel, & spacers down to the threads,, & then cinch the whole works with a lock nut.
The wide washer holds the wheel from turning on the bolt ect,.

I then figured the depth that I wanted, & marked that on the side of a hobby balsa saw, & a medium tooth hacksaw blade for metal.
The balsa saw was used first to cut the edges, & also to make a few cuts inset, then I started cross cutting out the whole thing with the hack saw blade @ shallow sideways angles.

I then flattened & trued the slot with adhesive 60 grit sand paper, stuck to a 1/2 wide stainless stick that I made from a bracket.
Did my final dressing with a flat small finish file.

Once I got all chucked up in the drill, It only took me around 20 min. to finish it.

Fourtogo

My skate wheels showed up , and iorder some barrel tension springs . My engine mount doesn’t slots . The reason for that , is the Homlite Trail king . Has a car leaf spring right under motor plate. just forward of motor plate the frame hinges . I have had great success with chain tenistioners .

Attachments