Stainless Water Bottle Gas Tanks

cxbra

Looks good to me, the only thing is the cap.. I guess that plastic should be good but I like metal on metal. It probably wouldnt be hard to find a cap for that..

MiniBike Paul

KD - like everyone else, aluminum fabricators do not have enough work now! So, for under $100 you can design your own and have it made, properly!

There are a couple I can point you at that could do it, and many more all around us! Besides everything else, water bottles are vertical, tall, while minibikes favor flat or horizontal tanks!

There is/are probably fabricators reading this who could/would do it!

125ccCrazy

What about fuel tank epoxy or JB Weld?
jb weld and most other epoxys don't hold up well when exposed to fuel for extended periods of time especially with the slight expanding and contracting of the metal from warm to cold...

A better source would be a fire extinquisher or maybe a small hand held propane or map gas bottle.. For a custom look the propane/map gas bottle could be made and painted to look like a nitrous bottle with a dummy handle (knob) on the torch end....

Like to see some setups using stainless bicycle jugs or similar for fuel tank. How are you guys attaching the fittings, venting, etc? Olbriggs?

Thanks
KD

Stainless : Welcome to New Wave Enviro Products
If you really wanted to try it you could get a brass fitting with a nut and use brass washers and rubber washers to seal and keep the seal tight. It's certainly worth a try, those bottles are inexpensive as are the fittings!:thumbsup: The venting would be the most complicated part, no ideas for that except possibly in the lid a diaphram made from an inner tube with some small holes......

KD - like everyone else, aluminum fabricators do not have enough work now! So, for under $100 you can design your own and have it made, properly!

There are a couple I can point you at that could do it, and many more all around us! Besides everything else, water bottles are vertical, tall, while minibikes favor flat or horizontal tanks!

There is/are probably fabricators reading this who could/would do it!
That's true Paul, and it's a consideration, but I like the campiness of these bottles for a particular bike I am setting up. Maybe use a beer can for a catch tank too. :)

That's true Paul, and it's a consideration, but I like the campiness of these bottles for a particular bike I am setting up. Maybe use a beer can for a catch tank too. :)

I would :laugh: but is should be Miller lite, or on second thought it should be Bud, kinda tastes like oil anyway :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I will have to re-post later to give you some insider tips.....

I would :laugh: but is should be Miller lite, or on second thought it should be Bud, kinda tastes like oil anyway :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I will have to re-post later to give you some insider tips.....
Cool deal Briggs; thanks. btw, Is that an OHV Tecumseh in your bike?

TomH

Looks good to me, the only thing is the cap.. I guess that plastic should be good but I like metal on metal. It probably wouldnt be hard to find a cap for that..
The bottle I clicked on said that the cap was stainless. Looks like plastic in the pic though.

If you really wanted to try it you could get a brass fitting with a nut and use brass washers and rubber washers to seal and keep the seal tight. It's certainly worth a try, those bottles are inexpensive as are the fittings!:thumbsup: The venting would be the most complicated part, no ideas for that except possibly in the lid a diaphram made from an inner tube with some small holes......
Good idea. Off the the plumbing aisle!

As far as welding that thin SS it would be super hard. As good of a welder Allen1967 is he kept burning through that type of water bottle. Its also cruddy grade SS so with any type of heat it melts through. The caps well most of them will withstand at least a week of gas cause I tried one in a jar of gas to see if it would melt.

As far as welding that thin SS it would be super hard. As good of a welder Allen1967 is he kept burning through that type of water bottle. Its also cruddy grade SS so with any type of heat it melts through. The caps well most of them will withstand at least a week of gas cause I tried one in a jar of gas to see if it would melt.
Yeah, i spoke to allen this morning about it. He thought silver solder should work ok.

well sorry no pictures, the camera took a dump...it was 109 deg in the shop today, anyway my favorite is the Sigg SIGG Bottles - Swiss Reusable Bottles, Bags, Caps & Accessories - ReusableBags.com 1L (32 oz) good for 2+ races :thumbsup: I dont think they would endorse there product being used this way....oh well, didn't ask and don't care :shrug: disclaimer....kids and paranoid adults don't try this at home, anyway this will require some fabrication but I can give you a good place to start. drill a 23/64 hole on the top (yes top) 1cm off to the side of cap, you are going to make a pick-up tube out of 3/8 fuel nipple and 1/4 fuel grade nylon tubing, the tricky part is connecting them together, once you invent that you can self tap the nipple into the bottle with a small amount of JB on the threads(should be good for a couple years), back this up with a nut on the inside. you will know when you get it right. as for the cap, use a #41 (.096) drill bit to make a vent in the cap..it does not have to be a clean hole...... then you get to make a bracket for frame mounting, have fun!

Last edited:
well sorry no pictures, the camera took a dump...it was 109 deg in the shop today, anyway my favorite is the Sigg SIGG Bottles - Swiss Reusable Bottles, Bags, Caps & Accessories - ReusableBags.com 1L (32 oz) good for 2+ races :thumbsup: I dont think they would endorse there product being used this way....oh well, didn't ask and don't care :shrug: disclaimer....kids and paranoid adults don't try this at home, anyway this will require some fabrication but I can give you a good place to start. drill a 23/64 hole on the top (yes top) 1cm off to the side of cap, you are going to make a pick-up tube out of 3/8 fuel nipple and 1/4 fuel grade nylon tubing, the tricky part is connecting them together, once you invent that you can self tap the nipple into the bottle with a small amount of JB on the threads(should be good for a couple years), back this up with a nut on the inside. you will know when you get it right. as for the cap, use a #41 (.096) drill bit to make a vent in the cap..it does not have to be a clean hole...... then you get to make a bracket for frame mounting :censure: have fun!
Love this; thanks Briggs! How about silicone tubing?

what about soldering a metal line to the fuel nipple ? there is your pick up tube
you could do that but...the reason I didn't was because I did not want the vibration of a ridged piece of tubing being felt at the nipple causing possible stress cracks or loosening it up, it may not be that big of a thing, I am not one to discourage innovation so go for it!