Stupid question? Is this dual-drive shaft Tecumseh good for anything?

Minimichael

Last time I looked, I found no markings anywhere, so I'm only guessing it's about 4hp. Making matters worse, I know very little about Tecumsehs in general. So I'm wondering what you guys might have to say about this one. I picked it up as part of a trade long ago. The guy practically threw it into the deal like he just wanted to get rid of it. Now that I've shoved this box all around my garage for a year, I'm trying to resist that same feeling.. But seriously I have always thought this might be a good candidate for a first Tecumseh build. It's obviously pulled off a snowblower or some such animal. I have not run it, but can attest to the starter being operational. So, is this one as good as any other Tec I see y'all working on and building? Does the second drive shaft make this one a true utility-type model that shouldn't be revved erratically and otherwise abused? I'd want to hop it up with a carb and exhaust... And keeping the starter would be another first for me. Any basic guidance, brilliant ideas or other bullshit is much appreciated here :cool:
PXL_20221113_205512919.jpg PXL_20221113_205512919.jpg PXL_20221113_205533971.jpg PXL_20221113_205538564.jpg

No garbage, MM send it to me I'll dispose of it properly! :cool::p:D:scooter:

Yes sir it'll be a great little motor with some TLC and a few parts! Should be an ID plate on the blower housing, the other pulley is an idler.

That's 'bout all I know sir. keep it, bulid it, love it typically those motors are used very lightly and will serve you well sir.

cfh

actually you can cut the cam exterior shaft off. can do it externally, while the motor is running, with a hacksaw blade. this actually works quite well. But if you want it completely gone, you can take the side cover off, and cut the exterior cam shaft off (as it would be on a normal cam.) Then you can get a plug and fill the side case hole. i do this all the time on Tecumseh motors. it saves a lot of money as you don't need a new side case. and i have the engine open anyway for other work. see this link
http://www.pinrepair.com/minibikes/tecumsehmb.htm#pto

toomanytoys

actually you can cut the cam exterior shaft off. can do it externally, while the motor is running, with a hacksaw blade. this actually works quite well. But if you want it completely gone, you can take the side cover off, and cut the exterior cam shaft off (as it would be on a normal cam.) Then you can get a plug and fill the side case hole. i do this all the time on Tecumseh motors. it saves a lot of money as you don't need a new side case. and i have the engine open anyway for other work. see this link
this is exactly what I did

Minimichael

Great link. Thanks.

Minimichael

So that 'idler' pto turns backward, huh? I hadn't thought of that. Was kinda wondering if I might use it for something - like a 2nd gear. I suppose it shouldn't be made to bear as much of a load as a true crank, since it's really just the cam behind there.

I didn't post the cutoff tip because I personally can't stand the look of it. I have OCD and little thing's like that drive me insane. However I can drive a rusty patina VW with no issue...:D

Minimichael

Cfh, your whole site there is really top notch. And your lesson on the Tecumseh conversion is so well done and easy to follow. That's just timeless stuff right there man. Bravo. Thanks again for the link.

Last edited:

Minimichael

Mike, send me that engine and I will find a way to put a generator on the 1/2 time shaft. o_Oo_Oo_Oo_O
Heck you guys are making me feel like I've got something special here! Haha, Mariah, I agree it is so tempting to do something with it. Lighting coils and generators are uncharted territory for me too. But I suppose a you mean a belt driven generator like a car alternator, huh? I also wonder if that could charge a battery for the auto start too. Tho the starter motor may be uncompatible with DC... I think.

I'm really only a backseat electrician at best.

Last edited:
Mike, your electric starter is 120v ac so it is useless for 12v dc use. My Kubota excavator has a teeny-weeny little alternator that carries the whole machine, if I could score one of those for cheap it would be worth it just to see if it would be practical on a minibike.

SAS289

Like Mark Brooks mentioned, chances are that there's not a lot of hours on it so you may have nice engine there after all the snowblower stuff is removed.

Years ago I garbage picked a small snowblower with one of those 3.5's on it. Problem was that it couldn't handle the deep snow that I didn't want to shovel. The 196 I put on it handles everything, including the slop at the end of the driveway from the snowplow truck. The 3.5 was the first thing sold the morning of a garage sale. I wish I would have kept it.

cfh

I don't know... i'm not a fan of the h35 especially the side poppers. It's the same amount of work/money to re-do an HS50, and it's the same physical size, and the HS50 does not have a side exhaust... And you can get a billet rod for the HS50... so why bother with an H35 if you live in snow country? it's pretty easy to get an HS50 off an old snowblower if you're in the east or midwest. It like a free power upgrade going HS50 from H35. The only thing those side popping H35s are good for is a blower housing/pull start donor.

toomanytoys

I don't know... i'm not a fan of the h35 especially the side poppers. It's the same amount of work/money to re-do an HS50, and it's the same physical size, and the HS50 does not have a side exhaust... And you can get a billet rod for the HS50... so why bother with an H35 if you live in snow country? it's pretty easy to get an HS50 off an old snowblower if you're in the east or midwest. It like a free power upgrade going HS50 from H35. The only thing those side popping H35s are good for is a blower housing/pull start donor.
It would depend on what you are building. I started on an HS35 manco streaker when I was little. 5HP is too much for a 60lb kid to learn in.