Super bronc: de-gunking front springs?

Hello all,

So when I pulled the springs out of the fork, I think I figured out why the front supsensh' seemed to be seized. It looks like over the years the grease on the springs hardened into a nasty plastic-like crud on the spring, preventing the springs from compressing. :doah:

Any ideas on how to clean this stuff up?

Always grateful,
Steve

Well mine sat in a parts cleaner for two years and came out clean , you probably don't have that much time . Try bench grinder with a wire wheel , will be messy but probably work .

do you have a air compressor.blow them out then wash them with the cleaner,goes alot faster ,put the springs in a plastic bag and blow the grease into the bag and save the messy clean up on floor.

Just did mine. I got a turkey pan at the dollar store and put the springs in the pan on the wood stove. It turned to liquid then just gave them a wash in the parts bin.

kerosene and a brush works great for getting greasy gunk off. then finish it off with simple soap and water. pressure washer sucks you just get splattered with greasy water and end up with a half cleaned part :laugh: