Supercharging a 5HP Briggs!?

Link to the video- [video=youtube;JOf1-i5Qo88]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOf1-i5Qo88[/video]
Today I’m working on something quite interesting, supercharging my minibike 5 horse Briggs, it’s been tried before with failure mostly, but I am determined, even if it blows this motor up!

I deleted the vacuum pump off of my 6.5 Turbo Diesel a while back, but I held onto it thinking it may come in handy some day, and my crazy mind decided one day I was gonna turn it into a supercharger! In this video here I talk about how I plan on running it (THIS IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE) and I also hookup the pump to a drill to get some pressure readings! Current plans are a 1:1.4 drive ratio, should get me about 4600-4900 blower rpm with the engine wide open. I ordered a 3-1/2” drive pulley and will use a 2-1/2” driven pulley that came off the original mini bike engine! I also pulley the pump apart, drained out the old oil, and replaced with 5w-30 synthetic, hopefully it helps the pump hold up to the higher rpm!

As of right now I’m planning on running a blow thru setup, I am going to experiment with a pull thru setup but I’m afraid the gas/diesel will eat through the diaphragm inside the pump. Any suggestions are appreciated just don’t be an Ass!

I’m mainly looking for better hill climbing and trail riding capabilities, but I’ll see how much speed I can get out of this setup as well! It’s a work in progress that will most likely span several videos.

Link to my minibike video- [video=youtube;-_g3L5UDb9o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_g3L5UDb9o[/video]

Last edited:
cool idea. If you want the pressure gauge to calm down, you can put a on/off valve in line and close it down until it slows down bouncing like that. Put up some more videos of it running. More power is fun. Maybe the intake should be shaped like a funnel so you have ram air? I bet it would sound better with a flat belt. lol sound like a blower?

This is a great project, I hope you can find a good balance of power and dependability for daily riding. Please be safe about this even if it takes armored steel plates to protect you...any engine will self destruct if you push its mechanical limits. It never ends well if engine parts hit you or someone else.

old shed finds

To do this you will need.
1 Briggs 5hp raptor.
2 side cover PTO bearing.
3 racing raptor or equivalent flywheel.
4 upgraded crank.
5 valve springs..
Keep us in touch. Be careful.