Sweet Montgomery Wards gilson on ebay

Yes, and I'm sure at that price it will fly out the "garage". Considering the "barn find" started at $250 (which was also a 525 but without the exhaust), I'm not sure where this one will go. If this legitimately sells (as in the auction closes with bids that aren't $7000), then theoretically an XE525 should ask for around $1250~$1500 depending on originality.

I would go $750 but that would be under pressure so $650 is certainly a proper buy price. If you look at this in terms of it's uniqueness, it's a 5hp. Trans is nothing compared to higher-tech (I use the term flippantly) 2-speed and TC models. That's about all you can say. As for the barn find, that would have sold (under ideal conditions) for less IMO. That had age damage beyond reconditioning in some areas. I still see that one as a better candidate even without the exhaust.

the sellers other auction is Basket Weaving Supplies ... :eek:ut:
Saw that. But seller also sold many other vintage items albeit a long time ago. This may substantiate his claim of owning this for 25 yrs. vs. being a picker. I can't understand where he got the even grand starting price. Only thing I can think of is sentimental attachment. He's not going to be getting too many bids, if any at that price. Auction would have been the better route. Actually putting on this forum would have worked after he'd done his valuation due diligence (elsewhere that is).

I'd put up $20 that says this auction ends early to a local caller...

Last edited:
theoretically an XE525 should ask for around $1250~$1500 depending on originality.
Really?[/QUOTE]

Why ask me? I'm not selling. Besides, I believe you may have misunderstood my post. That value was dependent on what the auction 525 would fetch. If someone were to actually have bid it at $1k without an exhaust and not being an XE at the least, a true XE525 should get $1250.

Last edited:
Why ask me? I'm not selling. Besides, I believe you may have misunderstood my post. That value was dependent on what the auction 525 would fetch. If someone were to actually have bid it at $1k without an exhaust and not being an XE at the least, a true XE525 should get $1250.[/QUOTE]

Not asking if your selling. Just curious.

I seen that. The pic had the exhaust. Did it say missing in the description?
Sorry, barn find on the brain again. This latest one did have a chrome exhaust. The two are/were very similar (sans barn dirt/poop)

I have no conclusive literature here to prove this but I will guess that exhaust was added after-the-fact. Chrome only appears on the XE525 from what I have seen. I have photos of four 525s and all have painted forks, fenders and no exhaust finishers.

Last edited:
Why ask me? I'm not selling. Besides, I believe you may have misunderstood my post. That value was dependent on what the auction 525 would fetch. If someone were to actually have bid it at $1k without an exhaust and not being an XE at the least, a true XE525 should get $1250.
Not asking if your selling. Just curious.[/QUOTE]

With what you have in your possession now, I would hang on to it. If your XE is complete I feel the value is up around what I stated earlier. There is no way to prove "originality" of these in terms of later add-ons due to damage or loss. Anyone (and there are some who have done this) can turn a 966 into a 988 and claim value.
It really boils down to how badly a buyer needs to have something. If you collect, that desire to own what you don't already have drives the selling price.

Not asking if your selling. Just curious.

With what you have in your possession now, I would hang on to it. If your XE is complete I feel the value is up around what I stated earlier. There is no way to prove "originality" of these in terms of later add-ons due to damage or loss. Anyone (and there are some who have done this) can turn a 966 into a 988 and claim value.
It really boils down to how badly a buyer needs to have something. If you collect, that desire to own what you don't already have drives the selling price.[/QUOTE]

I was curious to see if you would catch it. I have been passing on alot of bikes and parts. Trying to save my pennies for windber. But I know what your saying.