T555 Need Diff. Axle...

No shit? Mine worked out perry good. I ended up ripping them apart and building a unit so the original axles may be different overall length. The diffs are the same part though.
yea all the ones i got have a long and short size. i believe their like 26 inches overall. When i need them longer i just swap in two long sides and use the stubby diff for parts or whatever. Those mowers are a blast :smile:

HAHA!!! I can't say I ever got a wheelie like THAT with the ole Deere but she was sporting a stock Tecumseh V60 and I was trying to make a lawn mower, not a blown up wreck. lol YOU GOTTA push stuff to it's limits though to search out weak points. The drive belt seamed good. lol Must be yours is working properly as well. lol :punk:

HAHA!!! I can't say I ever got a wheelie like THAT with the ole Deere but she was sporting a stock Tecumseh V60 and I was trying to make a lawn mower, not a blown up wreck. lol YOU GOTTA push stuff to it's limits though to search out weak points. The drive belt seamed good. lol Must be yours is working properly as well. lol :punk:
lol yea i got that one for free it was out at the curb. I fixed it up and sold it. I cant remember for sure but i think it may have even been friction drive with that dumb variable rubber disk. in which case it may have not even had a peerless diff.

HAHA!!! I told a guy that on craigslist about his. He was asking questions about help me fix this thing for less than a billion dollars. I told him, if it's not the old 60's X car you might as well scrap it. lol

yea haha so true. Trying to tell somebody that likes jags that they shouldnt buy one is pretty much impossible though. I guess its alot like owning a boat. The best days of ownership are the day you buy it and the day you sell it

Asking for disaster when putting a clutch brake on a differential.:confused::confused::confused: Now if your talking about a "BAND BRAKE" Most of the T555's came from the factory with a band brakes on both sides of the drive axles. Mine is 30 plus years old and everything looks to be original parts on the rear axle. I'm not seeing where asking for disaster fits in. Unless you would be saying putting a clutch brake directly on the differential housing its self.:doah::doah::doah:

Asking for disaster when putting a clutch brake on a differential.:confused::confused::confused: Now if your talking about a "BAND BRAKE" Most of the T555's came from the factory with a band brakes on both sides of the drive axles. Mine is 30 plus years old and everything looks to be original parts on the rear axle. I'm not seeing where asking for disaster fits in. Unless you would be saying putting a clutch brake directly on the differential housing its self.:doah::doah::doah:
Clutch brake meaning band brake on the clutch.... NOT the differential... Bad idea because when the chain snaps... You cant stop... That is why he said they came from the factory with them on each side of the differential for a reason....

understand

Clutch brake meaning band brake on the clutch.... NOT the differential... Bad idea because when the chain snaps... You cant stop... That is why he said they came from the factory with them on each side of the differential for a reason....
Now if it would have been written the way you wrote it ya your chain breaks your screwed. he wrote this.
"putting a clutch brake on a differential rear end is asking for disaster"
You see how that threw me.:wink:

i have a band brake on one of my diffs that bolts on along side of the sprocket. it works fine on what its on but it could be a problem if you wanted alot of stoping power. but it came that way on an old mower.

Ratbike

putting a clutch brake on a differential rear end is asking for disaster. they always come with axle brakes for a reason!
I believe you stand corrected...the clutch brake works great!!! Had my doubts too because of the differential, but it locks up both rear wheels simultaneously. I believe it is because it puts the load on the diff in reverse!! The final gear ratio is 9.82 to 1 so no problem with low end take off and has great top end as well. Did my homework on this one!:clap:My other one has axle brakes and they suck.

Yeah, if the band is on the clutch, it gears UP your breaking power for sure, but it is a lot of force to be loading on that chain AND the differentials them self. Actually being it does have differentials and your are stopping the system north of the diff.... Means it CAN continue to roll with the breaks on if you get a wheel in the air or something. Being it is a long ass 3 wheeler it most likely will never come to that though. It's hard to keep one wheel in the air on something like that unless you really try.. You will probably be fine. But I still don't think I would go flying down the road and mashing the brakes on because that is a hell of a lot of undue force to load into your drive chain and differentials.. Those differentials are designed to go 7 in a riding mower and I've seen more than one set blown up. You get 500 pounds rolling down the road 38 MPH and then LOCK the chain to a stop while the axles are still free to roll as they please with 500 pounds pulling them with kinetic energy, you may end up replacing a set of differentials. :thumbsup: I sure as hell wouldn't abuse the system, but it should work fine just for cruising around. NO STOPPY BONUS though. Stoppy bonus is going to break something. :doah:

I never mess with band brakes they go into the trash, I use hydraulic disc on almost everything. Yes I know how much they cost but that is not the point stopping a trike is and I always side with rider safety. Drum brakes have to be used in some projects, some mini bikes came with a scrub brake and a clutch mounted band brake.
Steve :scooter:

Ratbike

The d141 is what goes in the original T555 and was designed for this so I think it will be fine.My other one has a TA on it and have abused the hell out of it with no problems. If it does brake I'll post it for you guys along with some pics of the wreck!!! LOL!!:clap:

Yeah, most all of them had band brakes from the factory BUT!!!! they are located one per axle so it CAN NOT do the differential slip on you, AND it is stopping the wheels without stressing the differentials and chain.. ya know what I mean? It's not the same thing.. It's like putting a disk brakes on your drive shaft of your truck or something.. bringing 5,000 pounds to a screeching halt all on a Universal Joint... But yeah I'm pretty sure you will be fine if you aren't looking to tear it up..

Ratbike

Go Kart or Other Differential - eBay (item 280459710766 end time Feb-08-10 13:58:45 PST)

So if the sprocket is on one axle and the brake is on the other. It is a 1 wheel drive and 1 wheel stop? Is that correct? Why not just freewheel one side of a live axle? Randy
Mine started out that way when I accidentally set it up wrong...I tried it anyway and it didn't work well at all. Hit the gas and it pulls one way..hit the brake and it pulls the other and I'm on gravel...I'd hate to see what it would do on pavement!!!:eek:hmy: