Tapping an H60 Crank

I just got a replacement motor for my project but found one problem. The end of the PTO side of the crank is not threaded on the inside. The clutch that I have slides on with a keyway but there is a bolt that holds it from sliding off the crank. Is it possible to tap the end of the crank without tearing the motor down? Engine is a Tecumseh H60 75003E

Yep, just drill and tap it with 5/16-24 threads. No need to tear the engine down.
Jim is dead on, I'll add, if you have a drill press? I remove the blower housing and starter cup. Then lay them flywheel side down on my press table. It makes it nice and easy and more importantly, square.:smile:

The drill bit to be used with a 3/8-24 tap is letter Q. You will find the drill bit in a good set of drill bits only. This is off a chart machinist use and that's what I used to drill and tap my H60.

Are there no set screws on your clutch?
This could be debated, but I don't use any set screws. And I'm not sure your supposed to? I guess there are applications that would need them to make it work, but with the proper crank length drilled and tapped, they do nothing. Once you run the bolt in with a machine grade washer it is not coming off. And there much friendlier coming apart, I use STP on everything going together. When you go to take it apart you can slid the clutch right off.

Randy

This could be debated, but I don't use any set screws. And I'm not sure your supposed to? I guess there are applications that would need them to make it work, but with the proper crank length drilled and tapped, they do nothing. Once you run the bolt in with a machine grade washer it is not coming off. And there much friendlier coming apart, I use STP on everything going together. When you go to take it apart you can slid the clutch right off.

Randy
Good point.

I have a Delta floor model drill press, Hows the best way to align up and get the hole dead centered on the end of the shaft, I never had good luck centering on round stock. Mine is completely flat on the end and not even a punch in mark on it. I got four Tecumseh's motors that I have to put a 5/16 hole into them and tap for threads, I just worried about being off centered a little. I was thinking of taking them to a machine shop.

george3

You dont have to do it that way. Get a piece of jackshaft 3/4 size about 3" long drill the hole out on a lathe, the correct drill bit for 3/4 shaft put pice of pipe 3/4 id on the shaft but the jackshaft on the end of the crank and use a hand drill. Hold even pressure on the hand drill. perfict hole. you can also use a junk engine 3/4 shaft, cut it off and use it for a jig. I was going to post this quite a while back but I thought everybody knew this. you can substute a 3/4 clutch to hold the shaft square if no pipe is avab.

You dont have to do it that way. Get a piece of jackshaft 3/4 size about 3" long drill the hole out on a lathe, the correct drill bit for 3/4 shaft put pice of pipe 3/4 id on the shaft but the jackshaft on the end of the crank and use a hand drill. Hold even pressure on the hand drill. perfict hole. you can also use a junk engine 3/4 shaft, cut it off and use it for a jig. I was going to post this quite a while back but I thought everybody knew this. you can substute a 3/4 clutch to hold the shaft square if no pipe is avab.
I'm dumb. I don't get it.

I'm dumb. I don't get it.
not dumb just confused . what he is trying to say i think is make a drill guide bushing . you would take a piece of pipe that has a 3/4 inch inside diameter to fit over you crank shaft now you need a piece that has a 3/4 outer diameter with a inner diameter that your drill bit will fit in . you put the pipe on the crank with the other piece inside it . you run the drill inside the inner pipe it will guide the bit down the center. the parts you would need should be like $5 at a machine shop you would need 6inch of 3/4 inch id bushing stock and 3 inch of 3/4 od by what ever size your drill bit is id bushing stock.

I have a Delta floor model drill press, Hows the best way to align up and get the hole dead centered on the end of the shaft, I never had good luck centering on round stock. Mine is completely flat on the end and not even a punch in mark on it. I got four Tecumseh's motors that I have to put a 5/16 hole into them and tap for threads, I just worried about being off centered a little. I was thinking of taking them to a machine shop.
Thats what mine is, a Delta. Well it's really Dad's but it's in my possession, so it's mine now, anyways. I made a guide, that I can slip a clutch hub over the crank 1/2 way and drop my guide into it. I know what you mean with being square. Briggs and the few Clinton's I've messed with had a Little pilot, just started, like a little divot. I guessed it was for chucking them up in a lathe? But that makes it nice.

george3

badtec you understand? I guess I explained it confusing. But it works excellent. Its just a drill guide. You can use 3/4 stock with the correct hole in dead center or an old crankshaft that is damaged, just cut it off and use it as a tool. Install a pipe tight fit on your crank and then the tool 3/4 x 3" with hole in it slip in the pipe and its a drill guide. If you caught on? then here is another way if you dont have a pipe. Put a 3/4 clutch on backwards dont install it all the way on only 1/2 way, tighten the set screws slide the tool in the end and drill your hole.

george3

Forgot to mention, do not use an old pos drill bit use a high quality HS bit or solid cobalt, don't wast your money on them coated bits. Let the tool do the cutting apply minimal even pressure and your job will be as good as a factory job.

badtec you understand? I guess I explained it confusing. But it works excellent. Its just a drill guide. You can use 3/4 stock with the correct hole in dead center or an old crankshaft that is damaged, just cut it off and use it as a tool. Install a pipe tight fit on your crank and then the tool 3/4 x 3" with hole in it slip in the pipe and its a drill guide. If you caught on? then here is another way if you dont have a pipe. Put a 3/4 clutch on backwards dont install it all the way on only 1/2 way, tighten the set screws slide the tool in the end and drill your hole.
Yeah, I can see it now. Thanks for straightening my slow-ass up. LOL. Scott.

Just to add, it is good practice to use a couple of smaller diameter bits to start, at higher drill press speeds. Working your way up to the correct final drill size. at a slower speed. Taking less metal out at a time vs. all at once goes easier on the bits etc.