Tav driven RED spring.

Sprocket86

Ordered a China knock off 30 series driven pulley from BMI karts as well as a Comet Yellow driven spring.

I ordered the yellow spring under the assumption that the knock off driven would have the plain natural colored spring that seems to be even weaker then the Comet green spring.

Upon opening the box I discover that the knock off 30 series driven pulley in fact has a "red" spring installed.

Has anyone run one of these knock off china driven 30 series with the red spring?

I posted some pics showing the yellow spring for comparison.

Number of turns and wire diameter should tell you what's up.
Or, install each without belt, do the hand-turn for "feel".

I grabbed used Comet drive and driven on the 'Bay and have a little work to tune them for my Double-Force.

Last edited:

Sprocket86

Number of turns and wire diameter should tell you what's up.
Or, install each without belt, do the hand-turn for "feel".

I grabbed used Comet drive and driven on the 'Bay and have a little work to tune them for my Double-Force.
Yes that's true and I'll probabaly end up trying both springs in all 3 hole positions. The hand turn to feel the spring preload is a great way to compare the strenth of the two different springs.

Ordered a China knock off 30 series driven pulley from BMI karts as well as a Comet Yellow driven spring.

I ordered the yellow spring under the assumption that the knock off driven would have the plain natural colored spring that seems to be even weaker then the Comet green spring.

Upon opening the box I discover that the knock off 30 series driven pulley in fact has a "red" spring installed.

Has anyone run one of these knock off china driven 30 series with the red spring?

I posted some pics showing the yellow spring for comparison.

I have the same exact set up from BMI karts on my Murray Track 2, I rode it with the red spring for a while, IT SUCKED, you did good getting the yellow spring and dude it makes a world of difference on it, you will be much happier with the yellow spring set up than the red. Word of advice that yellow spring is guna be a pain in the butt, it took me and my friend to put that pig on there. Be patient and wear safety glasses!!!!!
Good luck

SAS289

It may be that the red spring is too weak allowing the driven to open up much too soon. The heavier appearing yellow spring would allow higher RPM's longer at "lower" speeds. This is more suitable for aggressive riding because the higher RPM's is where the power is at. The overdrive function of the TAV coming on too soon is probably one of the only complaints people have about them. Otherwise it seems everyone loves them.

Sprocket86

I have the same exact set up from BMI karts on my Murray Track 2, I rode it with the red spring for a while, IT SUCKED, you did good getting the yellow spring and dude it makes a world of difference on it, you will be much happier with the yellow spring set up than the red. Word of advice that yellow spring is guna be a pain in the butt, it took me and my friend to put that pig on there. Be patient and wear safety glasses!!!!!
Good luck
Hey right on and thanks. I was hoping someone on here has tried this knock off 6 inch driven pulley with the red spring.

Oh your most definitely right about the yellow spring being a super B&t$# to install. Deff a two person operation!

I've installed the yellow spring in the no#3 hole before and it's one of those jobs that you don't look forward to doing lol.

Can I ask why the red Chinese spring SUCKED Possum point?

Sorry for the delay, as SAS289 pretty much summed up, it revved up almost immediately so it basically put it in high gear almost off the start, so within seconds of take off the TAV was all the way revved up. Not a good combination for a TAV, but it is a Chinese knockoff. Over all though if the red spring is changed out for the yellow one it is a pretty good TAV. I've been happy with mine since the change over.

Sorry for the delay, as SAS289 pretty much summed up, it revved up almost immediately so it basically put it in high gear almost off the start, so within seconds of take off the TAV was all the way revved up. Not a good combination for a TAV, but it is a Chinese knockoff. Over all though if the red spring is changed out for the yellow one it is a pretty good TAV. I've been happy with mine since the change over.
ok thanks. I have a chinese tav but i havent done much riding since the fitment.
On the stand it mine seems to not go into high gear until the 3500 as per manufactures specs and this is on the middle hole.
Did you try the "offroad" hole in the driven?

thanks

ok thanks. I have a chinese tav but i havent done much riding since the fitment.
On the stand it mine seems to not go into high gear until the 3500 as per manufactures specs and this is on the middle hole.
Did you try the "offroad" hole in the driven?

thanks
Is your engine stock? I think I had it in the middle hole at the time, but even if I had switched holes it wouldn't have done enough for me, JMO though.

Yeah it was stockish (exhaust upgraded and a few more rpm). The first time I took it out for a test run I put it on the "off road" hole it wouldn't rev past 3000. It was great out of the mark, but it didn't rev out. The funny thing is it didn't even get into the od part of the drives. Doing air filter upgrade and rejet as we speak to
see if that makes a difference. Gearing is the same as it was with the clutch.

I have a nob qrtsion, if I may?
Why, in the MB scene, is it called a TAV? From what I can see ,it's a CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission) pretty much identical to what is used on TNG (twist n go) type scooters.
The one MAJOR difference I see is the contra spring coor codes. In the scoot scene the res springs are the stiffest springs and white or blue the softest.
Are there roller or slider weights in the front (driven) pulley?

I have a nob qrtsion, if I may?
Why, in the MB scene, is it called a TAV? From what I can see ,it's a CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission) pretty much identical to what is used on TNG (twist n go) type scooters.
The one MAJOR difference I see is the contra spring coor codes. In the scoot scene the res springs are the stiffest springs and white or blue the softest.
Are there roller or slider weights in the front (driven) pulley?
Noobs don't get edit buttons.

Many of the units sold cheaply, with red driven spring, are Chinese copies of the Comet Torq-A-Verter.

Thanks Chad.

It's a crap shoot of what will and won't fit China vs. Comet TAV. There are many factories in China that reproduce these, and the specs are not always the same, even from the same factory. Tooling and tolerances change. That's why we can not guarantee any direct replacement on parts for Chinese torque converters.

Some people are OK with 16mm and 5/8" being the same size. It's NOT. But with a hammer or a file it is to them.

No, the China TAV uses metric bearings and nothing else crosses over to my knowledge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk