Tav from bmi

newf

Hey guys, i have done a ton of reading on here and most peole seem to say comet tav is best.Ichecked my local princess auto and they have one comet tav left for $269.00 CAD.my question is it worth it to buy this one over the one atbmi for $149CAD. ,also i have read you can gat a different backplate for the one at bmi karts that bolts right on.Is this true as i couldn't find any more info on it.personally i hope someone can tell me BMI,s is good and save a $120.00. Any help would be appreciated. thanx JAY

The cheaper ones are usually the chinese copy of the Comet TAV. I have heard about people having issues with them, and some have had good luck.

I bought the real Comet TAV2 from OldMiniBikes for just under $200 US with free shipping and have not had any issues with it.

And yes you can get the metal back plate for either one.

comet torque converter | eBay

I bought three TAV 30's in the last few weeks. $88, $117 and one for $122. All brand new in the box. Most are only $20 for shipping. And I just bought a TAV40 yesterday for $80.
Seems a lot of recreational companies are dumping excess stock before inventory taxes hit.

Hey guys, i have done a ton of reading on here and most peole seem to say comet tav is best.Ichecked my local princess auto and they have one comet tav left for $269.00 CAD.my question is it worth it to buy this one over the one atbmi for $149CAD. ,also i have read you can gat a different backplate for the one at bmi karts that bolts right on.Is this true as i couldn't find any more info on it.personally i hope someone can tell me BMI,s is good and save a $120.00. Any help would be appreciated. thanx JAY
No its not....

Print off a hard copy of the deal BMI has and what it will cost to import it.
Take it too the store and talk to them.

This is a discontinued item.
Explain its not going to sell at that proce and ask if they will make you a deal.
Remind them its old...
Belts have a shelf life that one is 5 years old and look its already getting all hard and dried out.

At your prices if I need to order a belt from BMI I may as well order the entire TAV from them....
( they no longer suply the belt, I can help you BTW whith a Canadian suplier of belt so for that )

Try that.

Yes the plate part is true too.
I told you that.
I have one here in Ontario

newf

Thanks for info guys.Bullhead where are you finding all these tavs for these prices.All of the prices you listed are way cheaper than i can find.Newoldstock the deal at BMI is free shipping.I will take your advice and try to get a discount from Princess Auto:thumbsup:.Bullhead are you interested in selling me one? Thanks guys

Thanks for info guys.Bullhead where are you finding all these tavs for these prices.All of the prices you listed are way cheaper than i can find.Newoldstock the deal at BMI is free shipping.I will take your advice and try to get a discount from Princess Auto:thumbsup:.Bullhead are you interested in selling me one? Thanks guys
Bullhead got some splainin to do! :hammer:
:laugh:

I havnt been able to find any cheap tavs since that guy had them dusters one for cheap. (missed out on them :doah: ) I would love to get a set for my Briggs 11hp, but at the prices I cannot afford to spend that much at once. Really sucks.

Its not going to be free shipping to Canada chum.

Deals on TAVs.

TAVs can sometimes be had cheaper used and sometimes even here on the OldMiniBikes you can find a used one fore sale.

newf

regarding tav

Sorry NEWOLDSTOCK but the add says free shipping BMI is located in ONTARIO, CANADA .The add says free shipping not meaning to be sarcastic but free shipping includes CANADA unless you can explain otherwise .

You have too put in the work. The item became a hot seller. So now the prices have gone up.

One hint. Bid on a auction that ends at a inconvenient hour!

Hint two, don't bid right anway. Wait till five minutes before the end.

Hint three, look who's buying. Have they bid on several? Did they loose on the last item?
Have they bid several times. What "TIME THEY BID". For instance! If the auction ends during works hours. But all the bids were put in the evenings. And you bid five minutes before the end. You might be the only bidder!

Plus, I bid just what I am willing to pay plus shipping. If a seller has too high of shipping cost. I move on.

1" Go Kart Torque Converter CVT Clutch Replaces Comet TAV2 30 100 218354A TAV 2 | eBay

newf

Thanks for reply Bullhead ,i will try to keep an eye one ebay .I have never bought from there before.The Tav in your link there is one with 10 tooth and one
12 tooth should i go with 12 tooth.The prices you got seem a lot more reasonable.Like you said, i will have to put in the work.What is your opinion on BMI tav?.

george3

You have too put in the work. The item became a hot seller. So now the prices have gone up.

One hint. Bid on a auction that ends at a inconvenient hour!

Hint two, don't bid right anway. Wait till five minutes before the end.

Hint three, look who's buying. Have they bid on several? Did they loose on the last item?
Have they bid several times. What "TIME THEY BID". For instance! If the auction ends during works hours. But all the bids were put in the evenings. And you bid five minutes before the end. You might be the only bidder!

Plus, I bid just what I am willing to pay plus shipping. If a seller has too high of shipping cost. I move on.

1" Go Kart Torque Converter CVT Clutch Replaces Comet TAV2 30 100 218354A TAV 2 | eBay
The tavs you are buying are china made. They are prob. buying them for 25.00 enjoy your deal.

Thanks for reply Bullhead ,i will try to keep an eye one ebay .I have never bought from there before.The Tav in your link there is one with 10 tooth and one
12 tooth should i go with 12 tooth.The prices you got seem a lot more reasonable.Like you said, i will have to put in the work.What is your opinion on BMI tav?.
I trust what other OldMiniBikes's have said. Too many have said they have had problems dealing with BMI.

And ignore the negitive OldMiniBikes post. Some people are just screwed up and not happy. So they always post negitive statments.

Good Luck!

george3

If you are replying to what I posted its not negative its true. The main thing I dont like about the china version is the parts are metric and no replacement parts. But you can change the springs to comet if you want to alter the way it workes.

If you want a real TAV, then get a Comet.

If you want cheap, then check out the ones that say "replaces Comet".

Your choice. You get what you pay for.

I trust what other OldMiniBikes's have said. Too many have said they have had problems dealing with BMI.

I think it is the cheap China Torque Converters people are having trouble with not BMI as a business , I have bought from BMI many times with no problems on their website or on E bay .

I bought my forst TAV from BMI.
No issues with their service.

I bought the remainder of my parts directly from the factory in China that suplied BMI.

I have had the oppertunity to closely compare both the American made parts and the Chinese.
If you have issue with the Chinese parts its not BMI at fault.
Had it not been for BMI going to the trouble to get someparts when they did we would have been short a lot of parts let me tell you!

So lets say you have a Chinese driver now and its not working well.
This is not uncommon.
There are some fixes to tighten up the tollerences on the looser fitting ones.
Its the tollerences that are the trouble BTW.

Now the next question is cost.
A complete Chinese clone of a TAV-2 is worth 65 bucks.
Drivers and drivens are around 20 or 25 bucks each
You get what you pay for.....