Tav or clutch?

Long time no see peeps! Have a question only you guy's can answer. My son is building a street mini and wants to know if a Tav or a clutch would be better for a higher HP motor?

mustangfrank

SAS289

Long time no see peeps! Have a question only you guy's can answer. My son is building a street mini and wants to know if a Tav or a clutch would be better for a higher HP motor?
If I were going for big power, high RPM with a TAV a Juggernaut would be a must have. Otherwise in general I would want a clutch for the street and a TAV for off road.

That's a good article but I think they are inaccurate when they say a TAV engages at 1500.

Last edited:

toomanytoys

Drag bike high end clutch.

Street fun I'd go juggernaut. My ct200u with a tillotson hitting 5500 rpm wheelies when I want it to and runs 50+ down the road. I let off at 56 as I was getting scared!

All depends on what you want. I just feel like the tav gives me the everything I want. Low end when I need it and high speed when I want it.

I have over a 1000 miles on my bike and it runs great.

I don't like how the centrifical clutch sounds like a rattlesnake when it engages. I bought a 3d motorsports manual clutch setup for my Ruttman build but Haven't tried it out yet & they also sell a heavier clutch pack spring but they say the clutch leaver is harder to pull. I'd be interested to know what people think of it & do you use some sort of leaver on/off click switch to hold it open so it can idle without squeezing the leaver?

Here's the site: https://3dmotorsport.net/products/3dme-manual-clutch-3-4b-12t-35

desert rat

I don't like how the centrifical clutch sounds like a rattlesnake when it engages. I bought a 3d motorsports manual clutch setup for my Ruttman build but Haven't tried it out yet & they also sell a heavier clutch pack spring but they say the clutch leaver is harder to pull. I'd be interested to know what people think of it & do you use some sort of leaver on/off click switch to hold it open so it can idle without squeezing the leaver?

Here's the site: https://3dmotorsport.net/products/3dme-manual-clutch-3-4b-12t-35
I would say on that one you are going to be on your butt a lot. that one is for racing applications not fun riding. Some quads have a park button on the brake lever, you might find one of those but bump the leaver and the clutch is hooking up. In close corders someone could get hurt. You could put a disconnect on a jack shaft

Thanks for the insight. This build is not in any way shape or forum meant for kids, but for me personally. I do have some experience, did a full nut & bolt restoration on a 1967 Honda S90 a few years back that I have ridden allot. It's a well behaved machine & runs really smooth, although it does have a wet clutch. Maybe I am looking for an industrial built centrifical clutch? I REALLY don't like how noisy the regular clutch bells are & the bushings wear out rather quickly, looking for a bit more quality but not a kart spec part as they are crazy$$$ & there doesn't seem like there are many options. I think Northern Tool and Equipment used to have an industrial clutch meant for a commercial air compressor & the body of it looked turned & had more material to it & quite a heavy unit, not made out of stamped steel, quality sealed bearings, clutch shoe pads not meatal on metal shoes for smooth & quiet positive engagement. What do you mean by a jackshaft disconnect? A splined sliding cogged locking sleeve/collar to uncouple the drivetrain or something or a torque slip joint??? I don't think I'm familiar with exactly what you mean. Here is an intriguing video review of the 3D motorsport clutch & yes He stalls it. Part 2 He tries it on his drift trike & does a couple clutch drops & pops some wheelies & mentions it would be ideal for a minibike application, "maybe if the gearing wasn't too tall & its lighter"

Last edited:
Drag bike high end clutch.

Street fun I'd go juggernaut. My ct200u with a tillotson hitting 5500 rpm wheelies when I want it to and runs 50+ down the road. I let off at 56 as I was getting scared!

All depends on what you want. I just feel like the tav gives me the everything I want. Low end when I need it and high speed when I want it.

I have over a 1000 miles on my bike and it runs great.
Is it okay to ask for more info on your setup? Like gear ratio, rpm’s at 56? Tire size? I’m running a built 212 on 19’s and with 6.625 gearing and the juggernaut I’m only hitting 33 at 6800 rpm.. I want to like the juggernaut but it’s not playing nice. The stock driver gives more torque and speed but don’t let me use half of my power band. Hope you’re doing well and I’d appreciate any advice you have, thanks!

toomanytoys

Is it okay to ask for more info on your setup? Like gear ratio, rpm’s at 56? Tire size? I’m running a built 212 on 19’s and with 6.625 gearing and the juggernaut I’m only hitting 33 at 6800 rpm.. I want to like the juggernaut but it’s not playing nice. The stock driver gives more torque and speed but don’t let me use half of my power band. Hope you’re doing well and I’d appreciate any advice you have, thanks!
19" tires 10-50. 5000 rpm. Did that once, and never tried another top speed run.

33 at 6800 rpm seems really low. But you are geared lower than me.

It's been changed since to 10-60 I never rechecked top speed as I really don't care about speed. My road is 40mph and last time I rode cars weren't catching up.

19" tires 10-50. 5000 rpm. Did that once, and never tried another top speed run.

33 at 6800 rpm seems really low. But you are geared lower than me.

It's been changed since to 10-60 I never rechecked top speed as I really don't care about speed. My road is 40mph and last time I rode cars weren't catching up.
thanks, I can try 5.3:1 and see how that goes, I can hit 45 at 5960 with (6.625:1) the stock driver with overdrive lockout bushing, with more to give but it’s definitely slower on the top end acceleration this way. Hopefully the jug can fix that. I’m 210 on a rt200 frame, 8-9k max rpm

toomanytoys

thanks, I can try 5.3:1 and see how that goes, I can hit 45 at 5960 with (6.625:1) the stock driver with overdrive lockout bushing, with more to give but it’s definitely slower on the top end acceleration this way. Hopefully the jug can fix that. I’m 210 on a rt200 frame, 8-9k max rpm
I'm a little less at 180 on a ct200u and the CT is lighter than the rt200 frame.