TAV2/30 yellow spring not enough...

Bikerscum

I have the TAV on my modded 6.5 DB. Played around with driver springs, found the white 3100 to be just right. The driven shifted too early so I put in the yellow spring, position 3.... still too early. This motor should rev 7 grand, seems the TAV should hold a whole lot later than it does.

Any suggestions?

I made a living as a springmaker for 2 decades before my current tool & die maker trade. Any interest in stronger driven springs?

Why are there no stronger driven springs? Makes no sense to me. :shrug:

Bikerscum

Put a yellow on the driver. and No 1 on the driven that might work for you.
The driver isn't my problem. I had the highest "stall" springs on it, but drivability went away. 3100 is perfect.

#1.... #3.... maybe I have my #'s mixed up. I have the driven in the most preloadd position.

Thanks for the help.

george3

The driver isn't my problem. I had the highest "stall" springs on it, but drivability went away. 3100 is perfect.

#1.... #3.... maybe I have my #'s mixed up. I have the driven in the most preloadd position.

Thanks for the help.
I know what you mean. the driver spring helps hold the driven. when the driver releases it releases the driven also. You tryed the yellow to yellow and it wouldnt release soon enough?

george3

Here is a link to the chart but I am sure you have seen this. There might not be a perfict solution for what your doing. Hope this helps. If you are trying to get the drive system to funtion slower it may not be possable with the comet driver It seems like they want to go in low or all the way to high with out a smooth inbetween.
Replacment Springs for 20 & 30 Series Driver (011188, 011189, 011184, 011186, 011190, 216111), www.bmikarts.com : BMI Karts & Supplies : Go Karts Parts : Racing Go Kart Parts : GoKarts : Versailles, Ohio : USA : Indoor Track : Tips

Last edited:

MB165

I had the same dilemma. 7000rpms is way up there for a TAV. I dont think tighter springs are the answer. You could try some aluminum primary weights, they are lighter and wont work as hard against the yellow driven spring. I have run 6000rpms with aluminum weights and white springs.
I havent tried this yet but ill throw it out for you think about. Get a speed limiting weight set. I believe after some trial and error setting it, one could set the primary to stop shifting fully. That would also stop the secondary from opening up as well, and then the engine rpms could climb instead.

Last edited:

Bikerscum

I havent tried this yet but ill throw it out for you think about. Get a speed limiting weight set. I believe after some trial and error setting it, one could set the primary to stop shifting fully. That would also stop the secondary from opening up as well, and then the engine rpms could climb instead.
That's a very interesting idea!

Are those weights available or something to make myself?

The speed reducer will lower your top speed too much. The chart I sent the link too has the part numbers to the lighter fly weights. Lighter fly weight will hold it in low longer. Might want to use the oem springs that came on the other weights.
Listen to this guy he knows his sh-t

Bikerscum

The speed reducer will lower your top speed too much. The chart I sent the link too has the part numbers to the lighter fly weights. Lighter fly weight will hold it in low longer. Might want to use the oem springs that came on the other weights.
The lighter weights sound like they may be my ticket, I'm dense but I'm finally starting to understand how the driver affects the driven. But, I can't seem to locate any online. Have any sources?

Thanks again.

george3

The lighter weights sound like they may be my ticket, I'm dense but I'm finally starting to understand how the driver affects the driven. But, I can't seem to locate any online. Have any sources?

Thanks again.
this the fly weights that you are prob. running. (202933A) If you remove them and look on the inside it will have the type ID.