Tav2 Torque Converter

I ordered and received a Tav2 TC from EBay, and it's causing me more trouble than I expected. First, the bolts that came with the TC didn't fit my predator engine. Did a search on OldMiniBikes and found that the predator engine took 5/16-24 bolts. :mad: Ordered bolts. Wait 2 weeks. Got bolts. Put TC on engine. Hmm... the front driver sleeve was nowhere inline with plate on the driven unit. :doah: Off to HD for washers. Put 3 washers on after the spacer and the front sleeve is now inline with the rear plate... hmmm... Only little bit (1/4") left of crankshaft keyway for the spline in the hub driver to catch. :huh:

Do these plates need to be inline, and is the 1/4 of keyway going to be enough for the splined hub driver to work with?

Decided to keep on dry fitting the parts... Put on the splined hub driver, dive clutch slide right on, reached for notched washer (pilot washer I think it's called), no pilot washer. :freakout:Checked bags and box (twice). Get ticked off. Say some bad words. :cursing: Feel a bit better. Check packing materials one more time. Do inter-webs search for replacement washer-thingy. Do online chat with OldMiniBikes warehouse. Informed they only have parts for original Comet TC and don't have parts for Chinese model except belts. :facepalm:Say some more bad words. :cursing: Feel marginally better. Eat supper as tummy is a rumblin' and I've exhausted supply of bad words. Come to OldMiniBikes forum hoping somebody can point me to a source for the washer thingy.

Tired now, tummy full. Calling it a day. :sleep1:

Sorry to hear your frustration and pain. I was about to order a kit on ebay do you mind posting which one you bought? thanks
I bought the TC from Auto Express Parts: COMET TORQUE CONVERTER 30 SERIES GO KART KIT CLUTCH 3/4" 30-75 12T #35 10T 41 | eBay

I sent the seller (Cori) an email this morning and he said he would send a replacement part right out. :clap:He's been very easy to deal with, and replies to emails faster than any other seller I've ever dealt with on EBay. :punk:

I've run into the same issues as you on my Predator 212 Hemi. I had to buy new bolts to hold the plate to the engine plus a new 5/16-24 long bolt to hold the driver on the crank.
I also has 1/4" to 3/8" of crank left after shimming to line up the pulleys. I made a spacer for the end of the crank about equal to the thickness of the spacers I added to get the pulleys to line up. I bolted everything on tight and it seems fine.
I know others have the same issue with the 1/4" to 3/8" crank length engagement but no one seems to have an issue with it.
On my minibike once the TAV was bolted in place, my chain no longer lined up with the sprocket on the rear wheel. I had to shim the rear sprocket about 3/8" to get everything lined up straight.

One thing I did to another minibike that had a Comet setup on it was to have the back of the driven machined off so it would fit closer to the sprocket (you can also machine some off the face of the sprocket depending on sprocket design). Anything you can do to slide the driven closer to the sprocket means you need less spacers on the crank which gives you more engagement on the driven.

It just seems like the crankshaft is a bit short on the Predator engines...

Danford1

Thanks for the info Danford1. It helps knowing that it should still work. I'm going to try looking at the driven unit to see if anything can be shaved down there.

Last edited:
I purchased the exact same TAV2. I used a 3/4" bronze bushing cut to correct length to shim out the driver pulley on engine to allign with the driven. Left maybe a touch more than 1/4" of key way engagement on the pulley. I havn't had any issues. I just made sure to use a long enough bolt (2 1/4" grade 8) with a lock washer and some blue loctite to hold it on. Working great!

My install was on a 196cc Honda Clone.

I've done a couple doodle bugs with Predator/TAV2 setups. True, you do need 5/16-24 bolts to mount the plate to the motor. I use bolts that are 1 inch with lock washers. As for the alignment, there should be a black spacer in your little bag of bolts that came with your kit. Put that on the crankshaft first, then the washer that is ziptied to the driver, then the driver, special end washer thingy(also ziptied to the driver), then a longer 5/16-24 bolt (2 inch I think) with lock washer to hold everything on the crank. You need both the spacer and the washer behind the driver for it to line up with the driven.