Tecumseh Carb Questions

kbak

I have a Tecomseh HS40-55249B with no carb. I looked up the part number for the carb, and 631537 is listed, but it's no longer available. The web site said to use a 631795A carb as a replacement. I'm not having much luck finding one. When I look at other replacements, questions come to mind:

1) Can I use a primer instead of a choke on a mini bike?

2) Can I use a carb from a larger or smaller HP engine?

3) How do I know the bolt pattern of another carb will fit my intake manifold?

4) Are there any other issues to watch out for?

Ken

kbak

Ok, thanks. They cost a lot more than I thought they would. I'd rather go with the cheaper carbs, but I'm not sure of the primer vs choke. Any comments?

I have one that is both primer and choke with adjustable jets.

HM100 carb from a snow king me thinks...
He is talking about the primer bulb built into the body of the carb...
HS 40 is the same as HS50 when you are looking around.. H-35 is pretty well the same carb as well.. The BIGGEST thing to have rite is the bore of the carb.. 3-5 horse, best options are like around AA battery sized hole.. Bigger causes poor acceleration and cold starts.. Smaller limits the overall horse power when you are trying to 800 miles per hour up hill pulling a wagon...

ALWAYS buy the adjustable jet carburetor...

If you already have the modern fixed jet primer carb on a lawn mowrer you don't use.. Try it.. :shrug: You might hit one out of the park with luck...

Bolt pattern is all the same from like ten horse vertical shaft, down to 2 horse..

Throttle shafts and choke arm location and position changes GREATLY from one carb to another.....

H-50 is the exact same (body) for the most part, and will (run) exactly the same as HS-50..

BUUuuuuut

The throttle shaft hooks up differently... Choke arm works backwards, and isn't rite for HS.. :mellow:

Unless somebody is willing to sell you an ACTUAL TECUMSEH OR LAWSON MADE, H-35 or HS adjustable jet carburetor for the same price or less than the new Oregon carbs....

Then next best bet is this carb.....

Amazon.com: Oregon 50-647, Carburetor, Tecumseh 6326: Patio, Lawn & Garden