Tecumseh Engine Question

What year did Tecumseh go from metal gas tank to the plastic one? The sereal # on metal tag on the shroud starts with a 4. Does this mean 64 or 74? The tank is metal. The engine is on a bonanza 1200bc with the go power wheels and forward pegs. Does this mean my bonanza is a 64 or 74? I know the newer bonanzas had mid peggs and kidney beans wheels. Just trying to date it. I hope this make since..Thanks

markus

plastic tanks started in up around 1970, Briggs quit selling engines to mini bike manufacturers in 1969 so every company using them had to find another engine. Tecumseh's were the next popular choice except most frames were not setup to give clearance to access the center fill, at that point Tec had to come up with a right side fill tank for a more universal fit.

around 1968 was the change to kidney beans and mid pegs on the Bonanza

does your badge look like this:

I'm not sure what the tags for the tec's looked like in '64, my oldest one is a '68, your shroud will be a smooth curve on the top going up to the headbolts if its pre '70 and if its a 1964 it probably also has a notch cut into the shroud for the spark plug as they were more off to the right in the earlier engines, but I am not exactly sure when they changed that.

Thanks Markus. Upon further review the serial # is stamped on the shroud and starts with 4. The top of the shroud also has a ridge leading to the head bolts. My badge does not have the lighting bolt on it. The bike is a pre 68 with go powers and forward pegs. So Im guessing its a 74 engine that someone installed using the metal gas tank from the original engine?? :shrug:

markus

Thanks Markus. Upon further review the serial # is stamped on the shroud and starts with 4. The top of the shroud also has a ridge leading to the head bolts. My badge does not have the lighting bolt on it. The bike is a pre 68 with go powers and forward pegs. So Im guessing its a 74 engine that someone installed using the metal gas tank from the original engine?? :shrug:
thats a possiblilty, the parts on Tecs are all easily swapped around :thumbsup: