Tecumseh HS40 Are the cheap Tecumseh Ebay carbs any good?

I have a Tecumseh hs40 that only runs with the choke on. When I turn it off the motor sputters and dies. I was wondering if any fellow OldMiniBikes members have purchased one of the Ebay carbs that are between $8-$15 and how well they work. I will be cleaning the suspect carb tommorow and need a backup plan {new carb} in case the cleaning does not help. Thank You.

Attachments

I tend to stay away from the super cheap knock-offs and usually buy from a US-based reseller. The bigger, known sellers will ask a bit more for their version but I've found them to be more reliable with fewer problems out of the box--over tightened jet screws, twisted float bowls which kill the gasket, etc. The one thing I'd definitely recommend is heading to your favorite ACE or True Value, go to the loose hardware section and grab a handful of fiber washers to fit the main jet. Those China carbs fiber gaskets last about one removal of the bowl--less if over tightened coming out of the box. Also follow the instructions in the Tecumseh manual to re-set the float prior to installing, as it is almost always off. Most of these carbs were for fixed throttle applications, so be prepared to tinker.