Tecumseh HS50 magneto-points install

I know this topic has been covered before and I have read other posts, but what I have not been able to find either in the manual or online is if there is a initial position to install the magneto ? the reason I ask is I installed the mag with the bolts that hold it down in the middle of there mounting slots, then I installed my dial indicator (head is off) next I installed the points, turned the motor to TDC compression stroke which put the lobe on the crank at the highest part, set the gap to 0.020 then rotated the crank back to 0.035 BTDC and using my self powered test light I rotated the mag until the light went out, tightened the mag and rotated the crank fore and aft watching the light go on and off at 0.035 BTDC The problem is when I put the flywheel back on the magnets hit the mag, I have tried several different times but the mag always seems to be cocked and the magnets hit the mag in other words the bolts are not in the same spot on both slots, so I guess what I am really asking is if there is a specific way to install the mag ? and what the heck am I missing here ?

Can you post a picture? When the bolts holding mag are tight it should be flat against the engine mag mount pads. How is it getting cocked?

markus

There is a machined lip on the snout of the block that the mag assembly fits in to help center the unit. Its easy to not get centered in it or moreso for it to pop loose from center while installing as its not really much of a lip. I have done it before. It wont look out of place until you try to slap that flywheel back on and give it a twist :doah:

The other thing to check is that if its a steel flywheel that the magnets them selves aren't coming loose/pulling from the wheel, and that you are getting the wheel centered correctly when seating it to the crank.

you can see the lip on the red block:

ugmold

Not sure if this is what you mean, but the coil mount is slotted, try it with both sides centered and see how that goes, seems to work for me.