Tecumseh Mystery Engine (No Tin) ~ Steel Liner, 2.5" Bore x 1.85 Stroke ~WHAT IS IT?

Tecumseh Engine ID (No Tin) ~ H35? Steel Lined, 2.5" Bore x 1.85 Stroke ~What is It?

Just taking a look at these two Tecumseh engines I picked up at a swap meet a few weeks ago.

The one on the left didn't come with any tin and had been repainted and played around with some so I took the head off to check it out. First off, I found a steel liner, so that was pretty cool! Next up, I measured the bore and the stroke and found it to be 2 1/2" Bore with about 1.85" Stroke. Also, it has a small diaphragm carb that had an oval louvered housing on it and a small gas tank (with gas gauge!).

Sooooo, with this information but without the tin and serial number, is there a way to make a more or less positive identification on this engine? According to the bore and stroke, my manual says it is a pre-1982 H35. (edited once I figured this out) Seems like it's a pretty early Tecumseh?

thanks for any information any of you have on this engine, seems like it has potential as a mini engine! ... :thumbsup:

Last edited:
The one without the tins could also be a 1983 and up H30.

The black motor is an early (1960-62-ish) Lauson/Tecumseh...the give-away is the offset spark plug that is notched into the top of the blower housing.

The carb is normally pointing down...like updraft style. Somebody was using a hand-wound rope pull on it. The correct Lauson style recoil had a sort of "daisy" pattern embossed in it.

That is a desirable motor and was original equipment on the famed Rupp Dart Cycle Deluxe.

Last edited:
Moto-Bunny
I picked up an engine very similar to yours this spring at a swap meet. If you'd like me to check the numbers on the shroud I'll do that for you. It might help in leading you to a conclusion. I can get you pics as well if you like.

Gerry
Was the engine on the Dart Cycle side exhaust? I think mine is beside the intake but definitely has the same intake as the ones shown here.

looks like side popper/intake HS engine. i see similarities with my RUPP HS40.

EDIT: also i'm no epxert also being steel lined sounds pretty nice.

thanks so much for the great information! I opened up the black engine now too, and found it too has the steel liner! (or technically cast iron, I think). I also measured the bore and stroke and it looks to be a H25. I'm really surprised both of these are like "heavy duty" engines with that liner, very kewl.

I'll check for spark on both and then try them out with a carb and see how they run soon, hopefully. :thumbsup:

thanks so much for the great information! I opened up the black engine now too, and found it too has the steel liner! (or technically cast iron, I think). I also measured the bore and stroke and it looks to be a H25. I'm really surprised both of these are like "heavy duty" engines with that liner, very kewl.

I'll check for spark on both and then try them out with a carb and see how they run soon, hopefully. :thumbsup:
The one and only Tecumseh motor that I bored and honed myself was an H25 and it had an iron liner.

The 2-1/2 HP was one of the motors offered in the Dart Cycle as well as an odd 2-1/4 HP.

It's possible that motor is also correct for a Skat Kitty but I'm not sure.

That was a good pick...much harder to find than a plain old Tecumseh. Hang onto it until the right project or the right buyer comes along.

The one and only Tecumseh motor that I bored and honed myself was an H25 and it had an iron liner.

The 2-1/2 HP was one of the motors offered in the Dart Cycle as well as an odd 2-1/4 HP.

It's possible that motor is also correct for a Skat Kitty but I'm not sure.

That was a good pick...much harder to find than a plain old Tecumseh. Hang onto it until the right project or the right buyer comes along.
thanks! I almost missed them too because it is hard for me to get out buying at the swap meets, since I have to be focused on selling too (since I have my own booth). However, there is quite the advantage too as sellers get in an hour or two before the public. :D

The H35 I might put in the Ding How since that is the mini I am running most often and has a neat side popper exhaust already. I need to cleand paint some vintage tin first for it, though.

Sent from my SPH-D710VMUB using Tapatalk

Back in the early 70's I had a h3 side popper. Came off a sears reel mower. Had steel sleeve and was painted white. They side poppers have unique sound..

Back in the early 70's I had a h3 side popper. Came off a sears reel mower. Had steel sleeve and was painted white. They side poppers have unique sound..
Seems like many of the Sears Tecumseh engines are steel lined, I have a couple more to check and see if they are too. I really like that-they are similar to the Briggs I/C motors, in that regard.

Side poppers are good motors-you just have to get inventive with the exhaust setup!

Sent from my SPH-D710VMUB using Tapatalk

MB165

That one with the tank over the carb....I have one on a manco thunderbird and decided to make it a h35, so it got a minibike specific throttle plate, longer governor arm, h35 carb, manifold and filter assy. it runs very well. also a 5/8" crank I belive it may have been a sears tiller engine.
I notice its an older engine with alumium flywheel.

MB165

I looked in my book, the bore and stroke are the same as a H35, they choked it down with that tiny manifold.
I noticed on my engine I have a all cast iron flywheel....and external CD ignition, makes it idle really well, its got a funny looking fan cover...

OK, kewl, thanks for the info-I thought that may be why the HP ratings were different, those are some really small and restrictive manifolds!

Also, both of these engines have the aluminum flywheel and points and look pretty promising-they look to be in nice shape other than the black engine has some flywheel fin damage (no broken fins just some bending).

I should be trying to start up the H35 soon soon once I get the Tec carbs rebuilt I am working on and a tin set cobbled together.