Tecumseh Plastic Fuel Tank Resto

CJ59

I would like to learn what members have done to restore yellowed plastic tanks. I'm doing a full resto on the 2.5 HP Tecumseh for my 1971 Allied Leisure Mini Mate. The tank was originally white to match the engine paint.

capguncowboy

Someone posted a video recently that showed someone restoring an old computer. The plastic case had yellowed over the years and he was able to brighten it back up using hair bleach and cellophane.

Whatever you do, don't paint it. The paint will bubble because the plastic on the tank "breathes".

The trick in the RC world is using hydrogen peroxide. You must let it sit in direct sunlight. It will take a few days but you will see a difference.

Sent from my Texas Instruments Speak and Spell...[emoji2]

capguncowboy

How would you apply the HP on your tank ?? Wont it just evaporate???
you can mix it with something that'll give it a thicker consistency like paint and brush it on. I'm not sure what chemicals would be good to use though.

You can also soak a few handfuls of shop towels in HP and press them onto the tank, then wrap it in plastic wrap to hold it all in place and prevent evaporation.

Yeah, Paper towels soaked in HP and put it in Plastic wrap or perhaps a large ziplock bag.. I'll give this a try and report back..

I just read that the plastic needs to breath when the fuels in the tank thats what causes the paint to bubble. It's just what I read not that i believe it or I don't..

I just read that the plastic needs to breath when the fuels in the tank thats what causes the paint to bubble. It's just what I read not that i believe it or I don't..
You need to seal the inside of the tank first with a epoxy sealer. Caswell makes a good sealing kit. This has been brought up a few times on here. Follow the directions if you use the caswell.the gas will not breathe through but you need harder top coat on tank. Paint will still lift by fill neck if you don't harden the paint.