Tecumseh points

Venom38

So I ad to put some a new piston and rings in the Hs-40. So I bought new genuine tecumseh points, condenser, and coil to be all fresh when I timed the motor. Started up great and ran the bike 25 minutes went for short drive. Next day try to start the bike up and nothing. Took flywheel off and the key was good but check the points and bad marks on them. What could cause this?
Thanks

Attachments

So I ad to put some a new piston and rings in the Hs-40. So I bought new genuine tecumseh points, condenser, and coil to be all fresh when I timed the motor. Started up great and ran the bike 25 minutes went for short drive. Next day try to start the bike up and nothing. Took flywheel off and the key was good but check the points and bad marks on them. What could cause this?
Thanks
Did you clean the contacts after you set the gap? I always do that to make sure there is no contaminants like oil or dirt or corrosion. It will cause a poor contact. I'd say clean and re-try, bet it will be fine.

Venom38

Did you clean the contacts after you set the gap? I always do that to make sure there is no contaminants like oil or dirt or corrosion. It will cause a poor contact. I'd say clean and re-try, bet it will be fine.
I did and cleaned up the points with a light sanding and it happened again, rode the bike 15 minutes and 2 hours later it won’t start up. Took the flywheel off and same thing with the points. This time I put the old condenser in and same thing happen to the points.

Venom38

How hard was it to start in the begining
After the engine rebuild and new carb and coil points condenser it was 3 pulls. First time since I bought the bike in July I was able to cruise down the road. Engine Ran perfect, no hesitation at all and was I was surprise how much power the 4 horse had.

If it was mine….I’d pull the stator off….check all wires….make sure your points are tight against the plate and square…re-time it….try again….

Venom38

Wrong capacitor value is causing all that metal transfer from one side to the other. That's the giveaway.
I wasn’t sure about capacitors, don’t know much about them. First picture the brand new capacitor didn’t last very long. Second capacitor is the old one, lasted a long time driving around and engine ran great. Timing must of been right because motor didn’t hesitate or sputter once. Now the bike will not start.

Attachments

Venom38

Before you tore into this did you check for a fouled or defective spark plug? A bad plug can cause the symptoms you have.
Brand spark plug and great spark and engine ran great. I’m going to check the old condenser now and see if it had its last ride, it was a good for sure.

Venom38

So I picked up new points and condenser and re-timed the motor and it starts right up and runs great 2 days in a row.
Don’t know what happen but I just blew out the second speed part of the clutch so I have new issue lol.
If it was mine….I’d pull the stator off….check all wires….make sure your points are tight against the plate and square…re-time it….try again….