Tecumseh small frame crankcase mix

Carlos

Has anyone had any experience mixing an engine block and crankcase cover from different engines with any success?

There seem to be many engine blocks such as HS50 and HSSK50 blocks for sale on ebay without the crankcase cover, but logic tells me that the crank bearings would be align bored after doweling the 2 halves together ... Can anyone confirm this?

I'm concerned that the crank will bind and be tight in the bearings on my small frame engine if I replace the cylinder block but use my original crankcase cover.

"but logic tells me that the crank bearings would be align bored after doweling the 2 halves together ... Can anyone confirm this?"

Yea you would think but they didn't. Or IF they did I haven't run into any issues yet. I have put a crankcase cover on a block that were made 30 years apart and no problems. Both bearing and non-bearing. I try and not make a habit of it because it just doesn't seem right but to date no issues. I can only say this about the HS engines though since that's about all I mess with.

Now on a 2-cycle you will have issues-especially with Stihl and Dolmar. Those are made as you said and can be WAAAYYYY off.

But as with anything I suppose there are exceptions-