tehcumseh 5 hp 197 cc help?

hi guys, I'm really new to the mini bike and gear head scene. but i have a Tehcumseh 5hp engine that me and my grandpa got running. im just curious to increasing speed. i've looked for upgrades and what not on this for parts and didn't see a lot. maybe me being new was not looking correctly.so a little guidance would be appreciated.:thumbsup:
-thanks T

That does not look like a 5 HP is your exhaust on the same side as that picture? Can you read a serial number off the shroud or tag on the motor? Do you know if it is a HS50 or H50 as there were two different series of 5 HP engines.

If you're looking to go faster, I'd suggest changing the gearing. That will slow you down on take off, but it would get you more top speed. If you don't really care about going fast, but you want to get up to speed quicker, you could adjust that with gearing as well. As mentioned above, there aren't a lot of performance parts out there for these. There is a billet rod available, but you'd need to do a lot more than that to it. Flatheads can make good power, but it might be easier to swap to an OHV predator. I'm guessing you'd feel a pretty big boost with just sticking a stock 212 on it. There are lots of part available for the Predators and clones. However, that motor is really cool, and I'd run it. I have a one very similar to it on my Fox, and I love it. It's simple to wrench on, and isn't the standard Pred that everyone else (including me on other bikes) is running.

If you're looking to go faster, I'd suggest changing the gearing. That will slow you down on take off, but it would get you more top speed. If you don't really care about going fast, but you want to get up to speed quicker, you could adjust that with gearing as well. As mentioned above, there aren't a lot of performance parts out there for these. There is a billet rod available, but you'd need to do a lot more than that to it. Flatheads can make good power, but it might be easier to swap to an OHV predator. I'm guessing you'd feel a pretty big boost with just sticking a stock 212 on it. There are lots of part available for the Predators and clones. However, that motor is really cool, and I'd run it. I have a one very similar to it on my Fox, and I love it. It's simple to wrench on, and isn't the standard Pred that everyone else (including me on other bikes) is running.
Yeah me and my buddy will change the gearing he doesn't like poping wheelies :eek:ut:
I'd rather run this engine on it too. I guess ill check out the upgrades mentioned before, and change the gearing a bit.

Last edited: