The basics and what a spark plug can tell you, or Here's your sign!

I've been reading up on a lot of the threads here, and I don't know, but maybe because I was raised by a bunch of gearheads, something that was beat into to me by anyone I learned from was to always check the basics first when you have a problem.

And if you have an engine running problem look at the spark plug, it can tell you a whole lot about the condition of your engine. Is it running rich or lean, carbon fouled, oil fouled, electrode worn or burnt, deposits, flooded, just plain worn out.

That one little thing is like the diary of the engine. And often it's the last things folks look at when they have a problem.

The other day I had a guy come into the shop. He couldn't get his ATV to start for a couple of weeks now. (We don't work on bikes or ATV's or boats, yet folks are always coming by)Told me he changed the gas, changed the oil, replace the air and fuel filters, and the battery. :confused: Didn't fix it so he called the dealer. Someone there talked him into a new fuel injector and wiring harness. To the tune of $1000.00. :eek:hmy: Still doesn't run.

I ask, "What does the plug look like?" And in turn I get the deer in the headlights look from him. "Plug???"

"Yeah the spark plug, what does it look like?" More confused looks.

Grab a couple of sockets and a ratchet and walk outside to his truck/ATV. Pop the lead off, and remove the plug.

Talk about a surprise! The thing looked like it came out of Davey Jones Locker! Both electrodes and the inside of the body of the plug were one giant pile of rust, and gas soaked. I've never seen a plug looking so bad.

I show him the plug and ask him when did the thing stop running. "Oh, I got it in some deep water, it ran rough for a bit then it died and wouldn't start." :doah:

Walk back in the shop, grab a new plug and gap it. Have him crank the engine over a couple of times to clear it out. Install the plug and lead, and have him try and start it. It fires up almost immediately and sits there running.

He hangs his head, and I walk back into the shop shaking mine. :eek:ut:

Sadly things like even knowing how to change your own oil are becoming things of the past. Most people now days don't even know how turn a screw much less self diagnose a problem. Too lazy and its too easy to just throw money at somebody else to do common sense things.

As for the rusted plug it wouldn't surprise me one bit if you had looked at the oil it was a milky mess. Can't tell you the number of times I've been called to an able bodied persons house for a service call to fix a light that won't work that ends up being a blown bulb. Now somebody that has no business being on a ladder I don't mind one bit and 99.9% of the time don't even charge for changing a bulb if its simple. If you are in your 30s, able, and can't install the bulb in your ceiling fan that only requires a step stool to reach. Yeah I charge by the hour with a 1 hour minimum to do your 5 minute job.

Last edited:
Spark plug reading is by far one of the best things I have ever learned when it comes to tuning an engine. I Love it.

It is such an overlooked thing to learn, but so somewhat easy, I wonder if it should be under the advanced category.