The Best Guitarist You've (probably) Never Heard Of!

I74

Probably the ''Best''- studio- Jazz/fusion ''Bass'' guitarist ever,, is the ''very'' unknown - ''Dave Lynane'' !!
He played on all of the ''3'' MF horn recordings throughout the 70's.
Absolutely - ''fantastic'' Musician !!!

Not a whole lot of info on this Guy,, but there should be......

''Very sad''...…....

Epic Dude,, that got no recognition . :(

Last edited:

bruces

Probably the ''Best''- studio- Jazz/fusion ''Bass'' guitarist ever,, is the ''very'' unknown - ''Dave Lynane'' !!
He played on all of the ''3'' MF horn recordings throughout the 70's.
Absolutely - ''fantastic'' Musician !!!

Not a whole lot of info on this Guy,, but there should be......

''Very sad''...…....

Epic Dude,, that got no recognition . :(
Wow ! Not every day I see anything posted about Maynard Ferguson !
In 1978 I was in grade 8 and I used to play with my older brothers high school stage band ,they won a national high school competition ,and I won the Canada’s rising star award ,which was given to me by Maynard himself as he was one of the judges and the competitions headliner.He was floored when he found out I was 13 ,and asked me to sit in with his band at the final concert .I did and it was a lot of fun .This greatly pissed off my brother who is now a professional trumpet player ,but would of killed for a chance to play with Maynard .
At that time the bass players name was “cut-man” who was a little crazy ,he took his Fender Precision and made it fretless with a screwdriver and a hammer ! Sorry I don’t know his real name ,but he was young and very good .Actually almost everybody in the band was very young ,college age or so .

I74

That's Frigg'n awesome, Bruces !! :)

I saw one of Maynard's very last shows before he died.
He was a ''Super classy''/ cool Dude.
Actually came up in the audience, & shook everyone's hand.

I played trumpet & Soprano myself. in the 70's,, mostly ''DCI'' - ''Drum corps Intl.'', & a bit of Stage & pep band in School.

Haven't picked up a horn in over 40 years, & very doubt I could even play one anymore.

Do play Bass though. ;)

Ian

Last edited:

bruces

I was a sax player ,joined the musicians union in grade 8 as I was already in a professional band ,and as a union player ,when a real touring group came through town if they needed musicians they would contact the union so I got to play with hundreds of groups over the years .My older brother the trumpet player didn’t do as well with that but on occasion he got to play arena shows too ,but as a sax player I was fairly busy .It was a pretty neat time for me .

bruces

Also ,not sure if you know ,but Dave Lynane is playing double bass in England at least he was 2 or 3 years ago ,you can contact him on Facebook but I don’t get involved with any of that stuff .I googled him and came up with a few things ,but living at camp with limited internet ,I can’t open up a lot of it in a timely manner .

I74

Also ,not sure if you know ,but Dave Lynane is playing double bass in England at least he was 2 or 3 years ago ,you can contact him on Facebook but I don’t get involved with any of that stuff .I googled him and came up with a few things ,but living at camp with limited internet ,I can’t open up a lot of it in a timely manner .
I don't do Facebook either, bruces.
Thanks for the info though.