International class: The Red Rocket 1985 XR build

• yes

Votes: 13 81.3%
  • No

Votes: 3 18.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

drheilman

Hello again OldMiniBikes. It has been a loooooong time. I havent done a build off since I won back in 2008. I entered this year in a effort to keep me focused. I'm going to try and enter the 'Gambler 500" up in Prineville this year. The good folks at the Gambler define a mini as anything with 2 wheels powered by an industral style motor(pull start). Sooooooooo instead of chopping up a mini frame to put on better suspension, I'll chop up a XR frame and ad a pull start motor. I got this old XR80 at a garage sale for $25. The motors locked up, suspension. rims and tires are shot, It was left out in the Nevada sun to die. Every thing needs reworked. I'm wanting to have a bike worthy of The Gambler when I'm all done. Here is my general idea of what I'm wanting to do.

Attachments

45t

Very cool build! I’ve seen this done before many years ago and have always wanted to try it. I’ll be watching what modifications you need to do to get that flathead to fit. Ive always wondered if there needs to be a jack shaft setup of some sort otherwise the chain would be super long?

drheilman

I'm wondering the same thing on the Jackshaft.I would like to build it without but I dont think that the Comet TAV will allow that. I ran out of "Thinking Fluid" last night so I'm off to get another 12pack and ponder this issue.