this is probably a dumb question, but, how do I start my briggs engine?

So I pulled a 5hp briggs from a rototiller and I don't know how to start it. It's out of the tiller (and not going back in) it's just the engine, no controls. Do I just add fuel and pull? Pull out the choke first? Open the throttle wide open? Not really sure what to do, any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
Hey Phill,

I mount the engine to some plywood by at least two of the mounting holes. Makes things a lot easier when pulling it over.

Be sure you have fuel in the tank & be sure you have spark.

Take the current idle setting and turn it in a 1/2 turn, this just gives you a hands free approach at starting.
You can turn the idle down once it is running.

I try to start the engine first with no choke. If it does not, then I'll pull the choke on.
Then try again.

Best of luck, I hope it starts first shot and easy

Well I couldn't get it to run on it's own. I had to spray some carb cleaner in the carb to get it to turn over a bit, hoping it would suck up some fuel. It didn't. So I'll have to check out what's going on with the fuel delivery system. Any suggestions on what to check for? Is there a way for me to prime the carb to get fuel into it? I thought that's what the choke was. But this is new to me.

CarPlayLB

depends on what carburetor you have. Does your carb sit on top of the tank? ..or is the tank mounted on the front of the engine?

I bought it used. Previous owner said "it ran fine before I stopped using it" but that must have been a long time ago. When I got it of the tiller and started to clean it up there were a few things rotted away. I had to replace both fuel pick ups to the carb. Get a new carb gasket and remount the tank to the carb and engine block. Also I think the governor was removed. The little shaft down towards the oil fill hole was flopping around. I pulled it out as far as it goes and put a lock collar on it so it doesn't go back in. Would that have anything to do with it? It can still rotate pretty freely, just not in and out.

CarPlayLB

On the exhaust side of the carb there is a cover that has 4 screws. There is a diaphragm that sits under the cover, with a spring and a cup. That diaphragm is the problem. They don't like todays gas. They are very cheap and easy to replace. Your local lawnmower shop will have them

Sweet! I happened to pick up one of those diaphrams yesterday. I didn't install it though thinking I wanted to try and see if the motor would run at all first. I think it will run, so I'll replace it and let you know.

On the exhaust side of the carb there is a cover that has 4 screws. There is a diaphragm that sits under the cover, with a spring and a cup. That diaphragm is the problem. They don't like todays gas. They are very cheap and easy to replace. Your local lawnmower shop will have them
^^^^^^^^^^^ Sounds about right...definitely first thing I would try....and maybe a new spark plug.

Sweet! I happened to pick up one of those diaphrams yesterday. I didn't install it though thinking I wanted to try and see if the motor would run at all first. I think it will run, so I'll replace it and let you know.
When that doesn't work, :laugh: take a wire and punch out the hardened shellac that is clogging up your pickup tube. The way that carb works, is that the diaphragm pumps up fuel from the bottom of the tank and deposits it to the top section of the tank, where it is picked up by the shorter tube and fed into the carb via venturi.

So when you pull that carburetor, look for fuel in that top section. If you have fuel, your pump was working.

Just wanted to say thanks! I got the engine fired up today. It was a pretty awesome feeling. Having never really tinkered with gas engines before and having this one fire up was so cool. I can't wait to get my frame built up and the motor installed. Thanks again!