Thread Lock?? Loctite super glue??

I need a good thread locker to keep my set screws on my new jack shaft from vibrating out..

Loews unfortunately is my best bet and cant find Loctite for threads so i bought Loctite superglue Professional strength.

Bad idea??
or will this work for a couple days of really bumpy ranch riding??

joekd

Loctite red should be more then enough as long as you clean both surfaces, dont think you need to go super glue

I use the medium grade (blue) which means it is servicable. I dont like the thought of not being able to get something lose should I need to.:thumbsup:

Loctite red should be more then enough as long as you clean both surfaces, dont think you need to go super glue
Hey Squirrel, Loctite blue will probably work. The upside is that you can remove your set screw, if necessary, with ordinary hand tools. The red loctite requires that the area be heated to 500 degrees in order to remove the set screw. I'd start with the blue and if it doesn't hold then I'd use the red. In any case, do like Joekd said and clean both parts thoroughly. Use acetone, lacquer thinner, or even a brake cleaning spray. Most auto parts stores including Walmart, sell the various types of loctite. Good luck. Ogy

You know Loctite has their new Loctite tape(blue). Should be able to pick it up at any national auto store-PepBoys,Auto Zone,Advance Autos. I use the blue when I rebuild my motors and have had no problems or issues. If you don't plan on taking an item apart use the red. Also try Ebay there are nearly 900 listings under loctite.

I dont like set screws so i just weld the gear on but u gtta be sure ur never gonna remve the gear again. U can still remove the shaft
Your idea of welding the sprockets directly to the jackshaft sounds radical minibikefreak, but it's not. I know lots of guys who use set screws until they get everything set just how they want it and then tack the sprockets to the jackshaft in two places 180 degrees apart. That way no problems for at least a year or two and when the sprockets wear out just cut the old jackshaft and buy or make a new one. They're cheap. Weld some new sprockets on and you're good for another couple of years. Ogy