Throttle cable end repair

f4radar

The barrel end looks good. Are you going to remove the loose wire so it runs smooth?
Good eye, I'm still just practicing placement, heating, cooling and removal. I figure a couple more practice attempts with old cable then Ill do it for real.
I wanted to make my own ends so I could get the right draw on a slide carb and still use the original twist grips on the old bikes.

red baron

I hope I'm not hi jacking the thread but does anyone have a source for cable making supplies? There's got to be some where to get ferrule crimpers, in line adjusters and other parts.

f4radar

Looks great. I use fishing slip sinkers. I put them on the end of the cable and soder and shape. If it's for inside the carb, I use a split sinker, they come in all sizes.
I haven’t tried the small inside carb end…next time. I did my first cable for use yesterday. I measured and cut for a perfect fit but forgot to account for fraying the very end of the wire cable. Of course the cable was too short and made for a wild ride when I started it. From now on I will add a 1/4 inch to perfect to allow some adjustments.

I haven’t tried the small inside carb end…next time. I did my first cable for use yesterday. I measured and cut for a perfect fit but forgot to account for fraying the very end of the wire cable. Of course the cable was too short and made for a wild ride when I started it. From now on I will add a 1/4 inch to perfect to allow some adjustments.
You can prevent fraying by cleaning the area with a solvent, then flux and solder the area. Cut at your spot with a Dremel cut-off wheel.

f4radar

You can prevent fraying by cleaning the area with a solvent, then flux and solder the area. Cut at your spot with a Dremel cut-off wheel.
Yep, I did all those but added the step of carefully bending the very end (after it was cut) to add extra strength to the bond. It’s probably not necessary but that’s how they did it in the uboob videos.

red baron

Yep, I did all those but added the step of carefully bending the very end (after it was cut) to add extra strength to the bond. It’s probably not necessary but that’s how they did it in the uboob videos.
well the next cable will be even better, you'll have the practice cable out of the way