throttle linkage/clone top plate gx390 carb on 6.5hp clone

Latent

Hey guys I have a finished mild build motor however I do not have a throttle linkage. I was looking around at either getting a clone top plate or a throttle linkage kit off ebay. However I am running a gx390 carb on a 6.5hp lifan model 168f-2e. The block is 9004 6036. I have been looking around for clone top plates, but I do not think they'll work on my engine because the stock gx200 gas tanks do not fit on the mounts because the mounting holes are too close together. Does anyone know where I can buy a top plate that'll work correctly on my engine? Or does anyone have any suggestions or advice on how to hook up the throttle linkage on a gx390 carb, thanks a ton OldMiniBikes community! :thumbsup:

Hey guys I have a finished mild build motor however I do not have a throttle linkage. I was looking around at either getting a clone top plate or a throttle linkage kit off ebay. However I am running a gx390 carb on a 6.5hp lifan model 168f-2e. The block is 9004 6036. I have been looking around for clone top plates, but I do not think they'll work on my engine because the stock gx200 gas tanks do not fit on the mounts because the mounting holes are too close together. Does anyone know where I can buy a top plate that'll work correctly on my engine? Or does anyone have any suggestions or advice on how to hook up the throttle linkage on a gx390 carb, thanks a ton OldMiniBikes community! :thumbsup:

Perhaps make something like this?

Its a semi progressive linkage with a honda style rod off the bell crank.
It should work on your carb too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQ9U7flWop0

Latent

Hey newoldstock thanks for the response. Is this your linkage kit that you built? If it is do you have any clear pictures of how you set up the linkage? Seems possible...

Last edited:

Latent

Nice throttle set up CarPlay. I don't think I could fabricate something as good as that to be honest looks real good. Thanks a lot for the pictures and video it's helping me a lot and helping me brainstorm some ideas. When I finish my linkage I'll post a picture up here as well, but will definitely not be as good as you guys :thumbsup:

Hey newoldstock thanks for the response. Is this your linkage kit that you built? If it is do you have any clear pictures of how you set up the linkage? Seems possible...

If you send me a PM with your email I will send you a picture of the linkage.
Do you have some tin to work with?

Mine is some tin plate a welding rod an small copper link.
To make it you need a drill press, hand tools, a vice and propane torch and solder, 10-32 tap and die.

I think Carplay has the right one for you though, if I am not mistake he used a Honda carb so the bell crank is different.

CarPlayLB

I used the stock pred 212 carb and rebent the linkage. This is nothing special! All I used was some 1/4 aluminum plate, a bushing, some carbon fiber, a shoulder bolt, a funky domed piece that was laying around and some time. Easy! You can do it!

Latent

Looks simple and clean nice! Thank you LB and Newoldstock for pointing me in the right direction. I'll post a picture when my linkage is done. :thumbsup:

Looks simple and clean nice! Thank you LB and Newoldstock for pointing me in the right direction. I'll post a picture when my linkage is done. :thumbsup:
I see your message in my email.
At this point I do not think you need my picture you see exactly what you have to do to make the right one for your bike in LB's post.

good luck

See that top plat he has?
You should make one and use it.

Might also consider a mikuni style carb and avoid the linkage althogher :)

Might also consider a mikuni style carb and avoid the linkage althogher :)
Its a combination that works very well in a properly built and tuned motor.
A Mikuni is very good too, but some people do not like them.

Going way back to the start I was never happy with the carbs I adapted untill I went back to scratch and built my own a long tge same lines.

Latent

I have had a 26mm mikuni on this engine and did not like it at all. The gx390 is more of a plug and play kind of carb in my opinion. The only thing that sucks about these carbs in the throttle linkage in my opinion.

CarPlayLB

I have had a 26mm mikuni on this engine and did not like it at all. The gx390 is more of a plug and play kind of carb in my opinion. The only thing that sucks about these carbs in the throttle linkage in my opinion.
It can be a pain in the A$$, but ya gotta get creative. The top plate I did for my clone was fairly easy to build, but you need a vision to get started. Overcoming these obstacles for me is the appeal of minibikes! I am putting a GX200 carb on a Briggs flathead and trying to do a rear mounted cable. I will post some pics when I get closer. The hard part for me is wrapping my around the throttle on the carb. That funky plastic thing doesn't give ya a lot to work with. If I had any skills and tools other than a hammer and screwdriver, I would take the plastic thingymabob off and throw the shaft in a lathe. Then you could drill and tap a hole on the shaft itself and attach an arm to it.

I mess up most of my junk and typically what you see is the second attempt! Experiment. Have fun. Get your mind off of other things. Have a beer, or six!