thunder bolt

delray

just wanted to post some pictures of my thunder bolt with a modified clone engine on it and yes for you vintage flathead guys. this will go back to stock in the future when i decide to do a full restore...:thumbsup: but for now going have little fun with it.....:scooter:
thanks again for some of the guys here that i pm them questions about modifying the clone engine...:thumbsup:
first thing i new that the factory carb setup was not going to work well with this bike. so i decided to go with a 22mm carb and also invert the carb intake and not knowing if it would work good or not at all. i have never seen anybody design this style intake. main reason i wanted to invert it was to keep the carb and air cleaner assy from hanging out and maybe getting damage from trail riding. for example at windber.:doah:
funny thing is i purchase this engine from harbor freight years ago(engine date code12-08) i believe i got it sometime in 2009?
first thing i had to find out what type of clone engine i had and the good thing was i found out it was a honda gx style engine and that just about any aftermarket part would work on it.:thumbsup:

right away i new i had to replace the the rod and the flywheel with the governor gone and then that lead into more aftermarket parts...:doah:...:laugh: valve train,head ported,cam,piston,billet rod/flywheel...etc.....

and yes the intake works great with my setup. bike pulls so hard at low end to mid-range. perfect for trail riding.

WINDBER TESTED

little up date on the project engine build. last saturday i had the some guys over and riding on my property and couple of them wanted to ride my bike. first thing they said after riding the bike was you need a helmet.......:laugh: you really do...

next day sunday, i decide to fire the bike up and right away i notes the engine was moving around little more then normal..:doah:
engine broke the front left and right factory welds for the engine mount plate and is trying to peel the plate back and snap off a low grade bolt i had for the rear exhaust hanger...:doah: i think it's putting out more then 6.5hp.........:laugh:

easy fix........:thumbsup:

I have personally seen this bike in action and it rips . It throws rooster tails of mud for miles it seems . Keep up the good work Brian :thumbsup:.

Man Brian, I wish I had gotten to see your bike when I was there. I know my brother Paul would have been into checking it out. Maybe next year if you bring it again. Very cool and thanks for posting the details on your build, it's very helpful!

jrzmac

I had a Fox Thunderbolt as a kid. It was given to me by my Uncle Mike(rip) when I was old enough around 11 or 12. Heres a few old school pics:

me, my Uncle and older sister down th shore:

me and Uncle Mike in the Pine Barrens at the jersey shore (1970's):

The thing has been M.I.A. for the last 30 years. I never knew they made a 14" tire version!!!! When I think Fox Thunderbolt, I think of this:

buckeye

Yeah Steve.
They went to the mini cycle version trying to compete.
I too, thought the Thunderbolt was represented best by the pics you posted and mine..

CarPlayLB

So when will you start selling those intake manifolds? I am sure I am not the first to ask! Great story and good looking bike! Very nice!

delray

if you are seeing them on the east coast gumpit and for sale. i don't think you will see them that long on craigslist? they are kind of hard to find. i was told buy a older guy that use to sell them and his book show me they where built 1973 for a year or so only.

and yes i have enough parts to make three of them...:thumbsup:

what does the fox say.......:laugh:

delray

owend
I might even buy a clone to to use with your intake
hey, your more then welcome to copy my design. no patent on this ....:laugh:
with all the clone engines built,kind of surprise that no one has ever built a intake that comes across top of the motor like mine does...:shrug:
only thing i ever seen is a small invert over the outside of the recoil area.
glad it work good for my project. i like the fact too it fills in that empty space above the engine and below the tank area. otherwise it doesn't look so great with a clone on that type of frame setup. just a big empty space....