Tire change tool

I own both large and small manual tire changers from Harbor Freight. They are not perfect but they do get the job done. There is a small learning curve to them. I got the most help by watching a number of vids on YouTube. Don't forget to use some lube both mounting or dismounting. I use two parts water with one part liquid dish soap works fine.

Last edited:

CarPlayLB

OwenD schooled me on the redneck method! Put the tire in a vise and clamp down on it close to the wheel. It will slowly break the bead and not muck things up! I typically do opposite sides and it will break free. I'd be afraid of the other style that put pressure on the lip. Unless it's steel you may have problems!

WrenchDad

I own both large and small manual tire changers from Harbor Freight. They are not perfect but they do get the job done. There is a small learning curve to them.

I don't own one but I have used the larger manual HF one that a buddy has mounted in his shed. I did a four tire swap on my Dodge Ram 1500 breaking the bead and removing the old tires and then installing the new ones (on alluminum rims). As stated once you get on to it they work well My only complaint is they just arent as robust as they need to be for alot of use. He had to re-weld his bead breaker and the leverage bar was bent a few times. I wouldnt be afraid to own one they are extremely cheap compared to automatic one's.

go to harbor freight, not northern. same stuff more expensive.

i have both big and little as well. the little one works great. i even use the little tire tool on big tires on the big unit sometimes because the smaller bar is easier to get in there. if the tire is old and stubborn though you will still have to use the pry/screwdriver method to get it around. the ball end works great at removing the tire (valocalrep look for a removal video for that changer, it doesnt just mount them)

and like the guy said, USE LOTSA LUBE it makes everything better just ask your lady haha