titles/paperwork. - i am so stupid

so, I have 4 bikes. 2 Baja DB30s, a Baja warrior and a motovox mbx10. the last 2 I got quite some time ago and the last 2 within the last 2 weeks. I never got any papers with them, they were all secondhand. here in Michigan, to get a 'title' so you can get a trail sticker you need an original MCO from the manufacturer or a bill of sale from the prev. owner. of course all of the times I got these, I was so stupid that I never thought to ask for a bill of sale. I have no way to check if they are stolen and I would really not prefer to find out from a cop and get cuffed for having stolen property. 2 of them were from swap meets, one from a yard sale and the other from craigslist. now that I got to thinking about it, I am a little hesitant to even take them anywhere in my truck because im not sure if theyre not stolen. is there anything that I can do or am I screwed?

MikeBear

I live in Michigan, and I've NEVER been asked for a title, or registration, or anything else to buy an ORV sticker from my local store for my minibike or moped.

NONE of the bikes you mention above can be titled anyway, and I can't imagine why they insist you have title or registration just to buy stickers for them?

Who are you buying the stickers from? Just go to a local store that sells them, hand over cash, and walk out with them.

Last edited:

catfishman

i dont know about mini bikes, but Home, for motorcycles. i used this site after my local police, and highway patrol referred it to me, to check a vin # on a honda ct70. they would not run the numbers, without seeing the bike, but i kept on trying different municipalities near me and the sargeant actually called me back, friday night at 10:30pm, and ran them over the phone. i only kept trying, cause i read others say the nicb.org was not reliable.

I live in Michigan, and I've NEVER been asked for a title, or registration, or anything else to buy an ORV sticker from my local store for my minibike or moped.

NONE of the bikes you mention above can be titled anyway, and I can't imagine why they insist you have title or registration just to buy stickers for them?

Who are you buying the stickers from? Just go to a local store that sells them, hand over cash, and walk out with them.

I haven't tried buying any yet but was looking at the DNR site at the guidelines. I don't have any paperwork for these bikes. do they need your VIN when you try to get tags? is that all I need to just ride some trails up north? ive never tried to get any before. can you get hem from the same type of places that sell hunting licenses and stuff (gas stations, Meijers in the sporting goods area) like I said I have no way of checking the VIN's for being stolen so was just wondering. being that I don't know the people's names that I got these from and I only can point out where I got one of them to the cops if it is stolen. don't really want to run them by the cops because I really don't want to end up arrested for it.

also the only ones im really interested in tagging are the 2 DB30's and the Baja Warrior. the motovox doenst have the power for anything but flat grassy areas anyway.

sorry so many questions. just never done this before. :confused:

Last edited:

MikeBear

I haven't tried buying any yet but was looking at the DNR site at the guidelines. I don't have any paperwork for these bikes. do they need your VIN when you try to get tags? is that all I need to just ride some trails up north? ive never tried to get any before. can you get hem from the same type of places that sell hunting licenses and stuff (gas stations, Meijers in the sporting goods area) like I said I have no way of checking the VIN's for being stolen so was just wondering. being that I don't know the people's names that I got these from and I only can point out where I got one of them to the cops if it is stolen. don't really want to run them by the cops because I really don't want to end up arrested for it.

also the only ones im really interested in tagging are the 2 DB30's and the Baja Warrior. the motovox doenst have the power for anything but flat grassy areas anyway.

sorry so many questions. just never done this before. :confused:
Yes, I just walk into the party store 2 miles from my house that also sells hunting licenses, hand over my money, and walk out with the ORV sticker. They don't care if I rip the sticker up, never use it, or what I put it on. They just want whatever fee they get for selling them.

I have state land that's 6 miles wide by 15 miles long only one mile away from me, and I ride back there. TECHNICALLY though, it's illegal even with an orv sticker. Michigan doesn't allow minibikes even on state land, UNLESS you go up at least to Gladwin, or up around Rose City/Mio with areas that are posted specially for riding. There aren't many DNR officers around, and it isn't hard to dodge them when you are in the brushy areas...

p.s. I doubt your bikes are stolen, BUT, the cops can confiscate them if they see you riding them on public land that doesn't allow it. Also, they aren't going to slap cuffs on you, and haul you away to jail in any case. Unless maybe you bitch-slap one of them, lol

Last edited:
Yes, I just walk into the party store 2 miles from my house that also sells hunting licenses, hand over my money, and walk out with the ORV sticker. They don't care if I rip the sticker up, never use it, or what I put it on. They just want whatever fee they get for selling them.

I have state land that's 6 miles wide by 15 miles long only one mile away from me, and I ride back there. TECHNICALLY though, it's illegal even with an orv sticker. Michigan doesn't allow minibikes even on state land, UNLESS you go up at least to Gladwin, or up around Rose City/Mio with areas that are posted specially for riding. There aren't many DNR officers around, and it isn't hard to dodge them when you are in the brushy areas...

p.s. I doubt your bikes are stolen, BUT, the cops can confiscate them if they see you riding them on public land that doesn't allow it. Also, they aren't going to slap cuffs on you, and haul you away to jail in any case. Unless maybe you bitch-slap one of them, lol

THANK YOU! :laugh:

yup I plan on going to the grayling-Higgins lake area.

just a last question, do the officers ask for proof of ownership if they stop you? the DB30's don't have lights and the Warrior doesn't have a functioning one due to it having a 212 pred instead of the stock one with the lighting coil...

all I plan on carrying on me when I ride is my drivers license. do they complain if you don't have a helmet? just trying to stay out of trouble! LOL :smile:

MikeBear

THANK YOU! :laugh:

yup I plan on going to the grayling-Higgins lake area.

just a last question, do the officers ask for proof of ownership if they stop you? the DB30's don't have lights and the Warrior doesn't have a functioning one due to it having a 212 pred instead of the stock one with the lighting coil...

all I plan on carrying on me when I ride is my drivers license. do they complain if you don't have a helmet? just trying to stay out of trouble! LOL :smile:
I would wear a helmet trail riding no matter what, it's just common sense. What if you ride UNDER that big branch, and find out it's lower than you figured? Instant Darwin Award Winner right there. IF they stop you for ANY reason, there's no telling why or what they are going to do beforehand. Carry your drivers license for sure. Just don't do anything obviously dangerous to yourself OR others, or damage any property maliciously.

So stop worrying so much, and enjoy your minibikes.

I would wear a helmet trail riding no matter what, it's just common sense. What if you ride UNDER that big branch, and find out it's lower than you figured? Instant Darwin Award Winner right there. IF they stop you for ANY reason, there's no telling why or what they are going to do beforehand. Carry your drivers license for sure. Just don't do anything obviously dangerous to yourself OR others, or damage any property maliciously.

So stop worrying so much, and enjoy your minibikes.
ok thanks. theres some state land up by grayling that is crisscrossed with a lot of good trails because of an oilfield but they aren't the marked ORV trails, though there are some in the area. I cant seem to find out if its ok to ride on them or not. doesn't help im on 56k dialup right now.

also, have you ever been stopped? what did they need from you?
I know im an idiot for asking all these questions but usually we just take a truck and ride around up there so I wouldn't know... :confused:

Also, do you just buy the $26 liscence and the $10 trail sticker and they dont ask for any info, just cash? Im sorry for aski g these dumb questions ...

MikeBear

IF an area is NOT specifically listed for ORV use / trail riding by the state, it's NOT legal to ride there. There's not many areas in the state that are. So you takes your chances, just like every other person for the last 50 years of minibike use on public land.

OK so I'm the original owner of a heavily modified motovox and when I got it home it actually had a title I haven't registered it or anything but I thought it was funny that it came with title lol

OK so I'm the original owner of a heavily modified motovox and when I got it home it actually had a title I haven't registered it or anything but I thought it was funny that it came with title lol
I think most of these come with a Manufacturer's statement of origin or something similar. you have to take it and get it registered. or did they do something at the store you got It at?