To Paint or Powder Coat the frame?!

Hey all.

Curious if anyone has some insight on the topic. We are at the point where we need to either paint or Powder Coat the frame and wheels. Does anyone have experience with both? We are unsure which way to go!

We have a Bad Dog Gigantic frame that needs painting. I think we will just sand blast and Powder Coat the wheels another color like silver.

Attachments

If you paint with 2 part urethane, it will be as durable as powder coating. The plain enamels and spray can paints won't be close in quality. There are 2 kinds of powders, epoxy and polyester, one is harder and not as shiney as the other. They both will scratch and chip. We used to powder coat dragster chassis. The continued exposure to chemicals and uv rays took their toll on the finishes. Where most mini's are stored inside, either should last for an acceptable time period.

powder is a tad cheaper than paint and far more durable.
have you priced quality paint lately and everything that is needed?
I would powder that frame for 125. in a single stage color, candies or flakes cost a smidge more.

Conroe PowderCoating

Last edited:
LMAO! We've never gone HERE before, right Tex? :laugh: I always paint, because I can. Simple as that. I have ultimate control over color, quality, and special effects, and best of all, I can say "I did it myself." Same reason I bought a welder.

I can always pay others to do things "better" than I can do them. But what would be the point? If you don't care about that aspect, definitely get it powder coated.

If your choice is a spray bomb, or powder coat, get it powder coated. If your choice is a mediocre powder coater, or a mediocre painter, get it powder coated.

The ONLY reasons to paint, IMO is if you want to exercise more control over the finished appearance, have some artistic ability, or know a guy who paints professionally and does multi-stage artistry on hot rods and bikes, etc. or like me, are assholic about doing it yourself.

$125 for that frame? Seems like a no brainer if you aren't a painter with the skills and equipment required to do it.

JHD,
This topic is one of the all-time most discussed (and opinionated!) on this forum. Perform a "Google Custom Search" (top of the page) and you will get LOTS of information.
Michael

JHD,
This topic is one of the all-time most discussed (and opinionated!) on this forum. Perform a "Google Custom Search" (top of the page) and you will get LOTS of information.
Michael
LOL, true on that. If I could get frames blasted and powder coated right here in town for $125, I wouldn't even hesitate. Also, for those who don't know of Txpowdercoater's skills, he has done some top shelf work on motorcycles and mini bikes. I was hoping to find the frame he did for Bikerscum, if I recall correctly. That piece was flawless.

Thanks so much guys! Locally we can get it powder coated for $125.00 right around the corner from our house, and that is likely what we will end up doing. It makes no sense for me to try and paint it when i can just hand it over to someone, and get back a good product at a good value. Kind of a no brainer as some of you said earlier. Thanks for the insight! Appreciate it much!