Torn distal bicep surgery

Well on April 6th while removing a 500 lb radiator on a second floor of a pretty expensive house I was working on. I drained the loop that the radiator was connected to and opened the bleeder to let the air in to allow the water to drain. The tile floor had already been removed leaving only the sub floor and the radiator feet were supported by 2x4s. So once the air stopped sucking into the bleeder I slowly opened the union on one end of the radiator to check that it was completely drained. I loosened it a bit more and still no water so I decided to disconnect it. That's when the radiator dropped onto the 2x4 (which I thought it was already resting on) and water started to run out onto the drywall ceiling. :eek: Now I had to lift the radiator back up to reconnect the union. I grabbed the radiator with my right hand and lifted it about an inch and turned the union with my left hand. It wasn't lining up to well and my gloves were getting wet so I pulled them off and tried again. No luck and now the customer came up because she heard the commotion and asked if I could use the help from the landscapers outside so I told her yes just to get her out of the room. So now my adrenaline was going and I tried once more and lifted the radiator again but this time I felt a sharp pain from my inside of my elbow down to the middle of my forearm. :censure: I still didn't get it connected but I had to stop any water damage so I lifted it once more and finally got it connected and tightened the union using my left arm. That's when the landscapers showed up and saw me holding my arm and asked if the radiator had fell on it. I told them no, I'm sure I just tore something though. Ugh!! :doah: So I went to my regular doctor and she told me that I either strained it severely or possibly had a slight tear. She recommended therapy and no lifting at work. I went back to work the next day with a helper doing all the work since we were extremely busy. That didn't work because my helper couldn't take direction to well and I had to show him how to do the work anyway and a couple days later I ended up aggravating it by picking something up on reflex action. I went back to my doctor and she referred me to an orthopedic doctor who then told me that I may have a more severe tear than initially thought. After an MRI it was confirmed and then one more visit to a sports medicine surgeon for his opinion on letting it heal or surgery and here I am. Surgery was yesterday morning and my arm is wrapped up and in a sling. I have to learn to do things with my left arm that I have always done with my right arm. Bathroom breaks have become a task. :laugh: I will be off of work for about a week while on pain meds then go back to continue training a new green apprentice. I was told I've got about 4-6 months of recovery time. Wish me luck guys and gals! :thumbsup:

I of course remember all the things that could go wrong in servicing hot water or steam heating systems and I sure made my share of goof up's. As for the bathroom Issues I solved my issues with a Bidet Mine is a Bio Bidet 2000 bliss and it works great. As my Arthritis is severe in both shoulders it just works for me. I did a lot of research I paid $650.00 and would do it again if necessary.

CarPlayLB

Tom...good luck with the surgery! I had my right arm repaired 6 years ago after a complete rupture. The repair pinched all the nerves in my hand and a second surgery made it tolerable. the elbow still aches daily, but the strength is back. I have had plenty of surgeries in my accident prone life, but the pain from that one was very intense. Take the meds they give you and and don't plan on using it for a while. take it easy and do not over do it!
I completely ruptured my left arm two years ago...call me flipper now! While in Panama...in the jungle, I hopped out of the cr to help a guy who was stuck and a root. I was doing my share, but lifting with my left arm as I did not want to damage the right arm! No good deed goes unpunished! Right when I did it, I knew exactly what happened. I calmly walked to my wife and told I could not attend the party we were going to as I knew I would be sore. She stayed with me and the others left for the party. When we got back to our room, I started crying. The wife had never seen me cry from pain. She asked if it hurt, I told her no, as the tendon has no nerves. It is just a little pain around the bone. When asked why I was crying, I told I don't think I can go through the surgery again! My ortho even told me "why is it the patients we like are the ones with less than great results?" 2 surgeries in 2 years was enough for me!
Not trying to scare you...my apologies if I was successful! Get the best ortho you can find and please do not over do it!

Again, sorry that happened to you and good luck!

buckeye

Sorry to hear Tom
We fix these all of the time.
Small incision in the crease of the elbow, drill a hole or two and run a internal fixation device.
Arthrex has a great product. Makes it easier to regain your motion and strength earlier.
The fun part will be the therapy.
Hang in there and do what they tell ya.

Last edited:
Thanks guys! Recovery is going well. I've only had therapy twice now with only minimal movement done by the therapist but he said that everything is looking good. I went back to work last Tuesday in supervisor role to train one of our new hires. I'm looking at about 4-6 weeks before I should be moving my arm on my own. Not much pain anymore either so I have been off the pain meds since the fifth day after surgery. :thumbsup: