Toro/Tecumseh 2 stroke engines

ugmold

I picked up a couple of Toro snowblowers over the weekend on the cheap. They both run. I was thinking about trying to mount one on my 69 Maverick frame at least temporarily (Until I rebuild the original engine)

Pics attached show Toros. S-200 and a Snowmaster 20. The S-200 looked like the larger engine so I broke down the snowblower and flopped it on a milk crate under the Maverick. BTW the engines had 5/8 and 3/4 shafts.

So my questions?

1. Does the diaphragm carb need to be "level" or will it work at any angle. The engine position now in the frame is horizontal. Are different manifolds available?

2. Gear ratio?

3. Looks like I'll need a long chain. At least at this position. I think the rear sprocket is 420 chain, I think I have seen centrifugal clutches that use 420.

4. What to do with the exhaust.

1 (3).jpg 2 (2).jpg

I'm enjoying this tread muchly, always liked these engines. I wonder if you could run both the piston port and the bottom reed plate together? Dual carb HSK600 oh yeah!
I was looking at doing just that, but doubt the rod is up to all the extra revs increased breathing would bring.
And, the rings are un-pinned, so I was very cautious about opening up the ports. Normally, the round get made square, adding area and a crisper sound as more port is opened at once when the piston passes them.

I was looking at doing just that, but doubt the rod is up to all the extra revs increased breathing would bring.
And, the rings are un-pinned, so I was very cautious about opening up the ports. Normally, the round get made square, adding area and a crisper sound as more port is opened at once when the piston passes them.
Yeah that's what I keep hearing about these engines, the con rod is the weak link. I wonder if any billet rods out there that might work!?

Un-pinned ring ends, yikes that's kinda scary lol. Have you ever noticed the lack of a 6th head bolt on the newer engines? The two late 70's 3hp Tec's that I have don't have the missing 6th head bolt and the carbs are mounted at a right angle to the block. They also have a removable carb mount plate almost like the old vintage Mac's and West Bend engines, I'll post some pics.

Yeah that's what I keep hearing about these engines, the con rod is the weak link. I wonder if any billet rods out there that might work!?

Un-pinned ring ends, yikes that's kinda scary lol. Have you ever noticed the lack of a 6th head bolt on the newer engines? The two late 70's 3hp Tec's that I have don't have the missing 6th head bolt and the carbs are mounted at a right angle to the block. They also have a removable carb mount plate almost like the old vintage Mac's and West Bend engines, I'll post some pics.
I doubt there's a billet, but steel rod from outboard, saw, etc, maybe?
I thought about pinning, but just left them to float and kept the ports mild.
I found the head bolt issue odd, but it's on the "cold" side of the head and the drop-in dome likely puts very little pressure up there.

I doubt there's a billet, but steel rod from outboard, saw, etc, maybe?
I thought about pinning, but just left them to float and kept the ports mild.
I found the head bolt issue odd, but it's on the "cold" side of the head and the drop-in dome likely puts very little pressure up there.
So yeah Tecumseh did make a HD steel rod for these engines. Would make sense in an outboard application and it's probably what they used in the minibike version too. If I get that reed plate off ebay, do I need anything else like a carb spacer or?

So yeah Tecumseh did make a HD steel rod for these engines. Would make sense in an outboard application and it's probably what they used in the minibike version too. If I get that reed plate off ebay, do I need anything else like a carb spacer or?
You'll have to use a Tilly or make a plate to turn the float-type carby 90 degrees, but otherwise it should be plug & play.

You'll have to use a Tilly or make a plate to turn the float-type carby 90 degrees, but otherwise it should be plug & play.
My plan initially was to use the HL-87c Tilly that's currently on my LB. I have yet to run my LB engine with the HL-239b carb that I got off ebay. Here is a few pics of one of my Tec uniblock 3hp 2 cycle engine. Note the 6th head bolt and the removable carb mount adapter.

I wonder now if Tecumseh made a plate to put in place of the piston port adapter to use when the bottom mount reed plate was used??

My plan initially was to use the HL-87c Tilly that's currently on my LB. I have yet to run my LB engine with the HL-239b carb that I got off ebay. Here is a few pics of one of my Tec uniblock 3hp 2 cycle engine. Note the 6th head bolt and the removable carb mount adapter.

I wonder now if Tecumseh made a plate to put in place of the piston port adapter to use when the bottom mount reed plate was used??

Aaah, yours is different, has the intake-thru-transfer setup. AH520 type, mebbe.

Last edited:
I also believe this engine has a different style compression release valve mechanism then the newer engines, seems to build more compression then the late model HSK600 45 degree cast carb mount engines.