Torque Converter Conversion

Kartman01

Folks:

I am converting a minibike from a centrifugal clutch to a 20 series torque converter. I need to weld tabs on the frame for the jackshaft.

My question: what is the center to center distance from the engine crankshaft to where the jackshaft needs to be placed for a 20 series torque converter.

Thanks!

You can buy many sizes of belts to accommodate for different distances. Most kart part sellers have charts that show which belt works with which distance. 30 series converters are a lot more common and if you were to buy the complete set up with mounting plate it is a simple bolt on to the engine and no welding needed. Distance is fixed as Jack shaft is mounted to the
plate and they come with the right size belt.

mustangfrank

Folks:

I am converting a minibike from a centrifugal clutch to a 20 series torque converter. I need to weld tabs on the frame for the jackshaft.

My question: what is the center to center distance from the engine crankshaft to where the jackshaft needs to be placed for a 20 series torque converter.

Thanks!
Whatever works, you just have to stay within the C2C range of available belts. Is a TAV not an option to avoid adding a jackshaft to the frame?

Comet Drive Belts | Comet Torque Converter Belts | Go Kart Belts (gokartsupply.com)

delray

Folks:

Thanks!
just add one more thing to your question and you may already know? 20 series driven unit needs to face in.. thumb1.PNG

Kartman01

You can buy many sizes of belts to accommodate for different distances. Most kart part sellers have charts that show which belt works with which distance. 30 series converters are a lot more common and if you were to buy the complete set up with mounting plate it is a simple bolt on to the engine and no welding needed. Distance is fixed as Jack shaft is mounted to the
plate and they come with the right size belt.
Thanks, much appreciated. I wanted to go with a 20 series as I’m only working with 3 hp.

I’ve not been able to find the belt chart you mention… I’ll keep looking for that. Thanks!

Kartman01

Thanks delray. When you say the 20 Series ‘needs to face in’, what does that mean? How does that differ from a 30 series? Thanks!