Torque converter options for Coleman CT200U-EXR-C?

I've been doing some reading on Torque Converters for the Coleman CT200U-EXR-C.

Most of the Chinese products require a 3/4" shaft.

There are 5/8 to 3/4 adapters, but there has been some concern about them not having a full bite.

There are also 16mm to 1" adapters that would let me use a 1" TC and they look like you can get a full bite into them.

These adapters seem fast and easy enough to install and would save me from having to replace the crankshaft.

One question is, can it be good enough to use something like the 16mm to 1" or is it worth it to bite the bullet and replace the crankshaft?

I have also seen some videos talking about the difference between Chinese TCs and the USA made Comet TAV2s. If the lack of slippage, more aggressive torque, and longer lasting belts is true the TCO (Total Cost of Ownership) may end up being the same in the long run with better performance from the Comet.

Question 2 is: Does the Comet TAV2 fit the Coleman engine with the TAV2 having more reinforcements on the back than the imports?

Go Power Sports has a TC that fits the Coleman's 16mm crankshaft. I'm not sure what the country of origin is (waiting for email response) or how it compares to the Comet in terms of performance. Go Power Sports also talks about needing higher revs for it to function properly in one of their videos.

Smooth parts and smooth belts seem to have a lot to do with the slippage and belt wear. Is the Go Power Sports TC any grippier than the Chinese. TCs?

Has anyone had any experience with Chinese TCs VS Go Power Sports VS TAV2s?

I'd rather bolt and go without pulling the crankshaft if I won't pay too much for it later.

Any advice?

SAS289

I don't care for the adaptors but if I did use one it would be the 16mm to 1". I would change the crankshaft before using an adaptor.

The Hisun 196 does not have an oil fill on the cylinder side of the block. The Comet should fit. If there is interference it shouldn't be much so you could just trim the block or TAV plate.

I think the GPS TAV kits are way overpriced. I do understand that some like the kits because you have everything you need.

I have never seen or heard of any evidence that the GPS TAV is of better quality or if there is less belt slippage than a $60 Ebay or Amazon TAV. I got the Ebay TAV, made my own engine riser, and got longer engine mount bolts and driver bolt from the HW store.

If a Comet TAV2 cost $125 or less, I would think about getting one. But the cost of better quality is just too high.

Aside from the Comet they are all made in China. They all work good. If
GPS has one that fits your shaft that would probably be easier than changing crankshaft even if it cost a little more. Once your original bet wears
out, buy a comet brand belt. They cost about double and last 5 times longer.
I wouldn't recommend the adapters.

toomanytoys

I own several comet tavs and 2 amazon china-verters.

I notice zero difference between them. But that’s just me.

i will say the china belts don’t last as long as the comet belts. I’m running a comet belt on my china-verter. Wasn’t due to slipping or anything else. But they do seem to handle the abuse better. I exploded my Chinese belt about 50 hours in doing hill climbs off road. These were steep hills off the side of an old coal mine refuse pile. The comet belt has around 50 hours on it now and is showing quite noticeable wear though.

I was just looking at the Go Power Sports kit again and noticed a piece that doesn't look like is on the other 3/4" kits:

"Special Coleman 200 Series Driver and Sleeve for 16mm Crankshaft"

...it's the "Sleeve for 16mm Crankshaft" that really grabbed me.

In the photo it looks like there is an adapter there to me? (I'd post a link but I have to reread the forum rules about posting links to products).

If that's the case I'd rather jut get my own Chinese TC.

2old2care

Is that really the deal with the GPS kit, that it just has a sleeve, and NOT a special 5/8" driver ?
Sheesh, that IS a rip off - Da noive a' dese people !!

toomanytoys

The go power kit is a rip off. A 80 dollars worth of shit a 200 dollar package. I like go power sports. I’ve bought nearly all my parts from them in the last 2 years. But this kit is a joke.

you can replace your crank with a proper 3/4, make your own spacers for the engine, buy a tav, an extra belt and a stage 1 kit for the same price.

SAS289

The go power kit is a rip off. A 80 dollars worth of shit a 200 dollar package. I like go power sports. I’ve bought nearly all my parts from them in the last 2 years. But this kit is a joke.

you can replace your crank with a proper 3/4, make your own spacers for the engine, buy a tav, an extra belt and a stage 1 kit for the same price.
Just wondering... On your Amazon TAVs, do they have a 5mm keyway on the jackshaft, or 3/16"?

SAS289

It is known that you could get one or the other. And the size is never mentioned in the ads. Getting the metric jackshaft makes more work for a sprocket change. Try to find a metric 9 tooth. Everything I've seen is 5/8 with a 3/16" key or keyway.

Was thinking about putting a TAV on my stock bike with my now spare 196 that already has a 3/4" crankshaft and more power than the stock Hisun. Would be more work if I got a TAV with a metric jackshaft. I hate most "make it fit" work without the proper machine tools.

I have an 8 tooth and like the gearing with a 50 tooth. But the 8 tooth isn't very robust and is somewhat of a concern.

LIVIT

I've been doing some research on CVT/TAV for my 200U-EX. I like GPS, but their kit for the 200 is the same one you can get on amazon with adapter and 3 belts for half the price. Only thing the GPS kit does have is the 1" engine riser and longer bolts. Which you will need to get the cvt to clear. You can order them from GPS. So for around $100 you will have the same thing as the $200 GPS kit.

toomanytoys

I've been doing some research on CVT/TAV for my 200U-EX. I like GPS, but their kit for the 200 is the same one you can get on amazon with adapter and 3 belts for half the price. Only thing the GPS kit does have is the 1" engine riser and longer bolts. Which you will need to get the cvt to clear. You can order them from GPS. So for around $100 you will have the same thing as the $200 GPS kit.
You can go to lowes and get 1 foot of 1x1 square tubing and make them yourself for 1/3rd the cost.

LIVIT

You can go to lowes and get 1 foot of 1x1 square tubing and make them yourself for 1/3rd the cost.
I live in the country brother. The closest place for me to get such things is around a 80 mile round trip. I also don't have the power tool (yet) to cut and fabricate such things. So currently cost wise, it's better for me to order them.

Right on my man. I took that advice. Absolutely a rip off. Buy it seperate the GPS kit is only selling u convienience of getting it all at once in one spot