Tote Gote Nova Fuel Pump Pulse Line Input Help

I am restoring a Tote Gote 670 Nova. I need to run a pulse line to power the new pump, and I am wondering the best place to do so on this particular engine.

I'm guessing I will need a fuel pump as these bikes came stock with a oldschool mechanical Tecumseh one that ran off the cam, as the tank is lower than the carb inlet on these bikes, and it likely will help performance in hilly terrain. The original H60 Tecumseh was long lost when I bought it, so I am putting a cast iron HH70 on it.

Options I've thought of so far:

1) Tap dipstick tube and run 1/4" barbed fitting as pulse line- not sure how well this would work. I have seen this method on newer riding mowers. I like this because it isn't a permanent mod/risky, but not sure how well it will hold up. Sound easy to perform.

2) Tap carb mounting flange - It isn't very wide and I really don't have enough space to fit even a 1/4" barb there. It could maybe be done but seems risky.

3) Tap top of crankcase cover - I'm afraid oil will get into the pulse line if I mount it here and it requires splitting the case so shavings don't get into the engine as I drill. That's why I thought of the dipstick first.

4) Tap actual carb with 1/4 barb, maybe closest to engine. This smells problematic to me for some reason.

There doesn't seem to be many good places on this particular L head to tap into as everything is pretty tight.

Any input is very welcome. I only need about 8" of lift max. How have you guys ran the pulse line for your engines? :shrug:

If you're not going to use the governor, you can use that port once the mechanism has been removed. I have seen others using a hollow side-case bolt and banjo fitting. I like the Mikuni fuel pump because of its low cost and availability of diaphragms.

If you're not going to use the governor, you can use that port once the mechanism has been removed. I have seen others using a hollow side-case bolt and banjo fitting. I like the Mikuni fuel pump because of its low cost and availability of diaphragms.
Thank you for your valued input.

I do plan on using the governor as to prolong engine life, speed kills. I'm leaning towards the idea of running it off the carb intake, as it supposedly provides stronger pulse and it also means I don't have to split the case to prevent shavings from entering while drilling on top for a pulse connection. I looked and there is juuuuussst enough room to accommodate a 1/4 NPT barb fitting on the carb flange/spacer, it's a lot easier to buy a new carb flange if it doesn't work (although I don't imagine any problems) as compared to how permanent drilling anywhere on the cases is (cases which are hard to find for a cast-iron model).

This NOVA belongs to user DZLBIKE, whom I have tried to contact about this setup but his PM inbox is max full........ if you look close you will see a fuel pump near the powerdrive shifter, and it appears to be running a pulse line off the carb flange/carb spacer like I'm describing:

(Right click select "view image" then click to view magnified)

Last edited: