Toyoco Masher engine upgrade question

Hello All,

First post here.

I have a Toyoco Masher 500. It's the one that Jay Leibovitch has on his Mini-doodle photo pages, and if you do a yahoo search on "Toyoco", it's the one in the images with the kid on it. We got it in August 2002, and had it at the Windber minibike reunion in '03. Sold it in Sept '03 when my son "had to have" a Rupp. Well, we bought it back in 2010 when we found it on craigslist for half what we sold it for.

The HS40 on it has seen better days. We didn't take it to Windber last year because it had a severe lack of power. Cleaned the carb and still no power. Well, my son (now 19 years old) pick up a Honda GX200 engine (used but running) from the Indoor Go-Kart track he works at.

My question is: Since the bike is pretty much a Rupp clone, Has anyone used one of the exhaust pipes OldMiniBikes Warehouse sells for the Honda GX160/GX200/Clones on a Rupp or similar tilted engine mount bikes? And, if so, which one. The pictures they show of the pipes look like they might hit the rear frame tube,

T. Mack
(TMack lighting kit creator)

Last edited:
Update:
Not sure the Honda GX200 will fit. I did some measuring and from mounting bolt holes line (reference point), the Honda pull start sticks out about 1.5 to 2 inches more than the Tecumseh HS40. That means I would have to modify the r/s foot peg since there would only be about 1 inch sticking out. It's hard to ride the trails at Windber with only an inch peg. I would also have to mod the foot brake pedal.

I guess I either rebuild the HS40 or get a HS50. The HS40 is a solid state ign so I might put one of the Lighting Kit's I make on it.

T Mack

UPDATE again: The GX200 fit the frame. Actually I put it in the spare frame I bought at Windber. I had to tweak the right foot peg and brake pedal.

BUT....... After I bought a torque converter clutch, I found out the GX200 had a 20mm output shaft. 3/4" is more like 19mm. A little bummed, but a few days later a friend had an old snowblower they were junking and it had a HS50 on it.

I'm think I might actually have it up and running for the Windber Minibike reunion. If so, the Spare frame bike will be for sale.

Sold the GX200 to a friend for a snowblower application. It was a perfect fit.

Last edited:
Oh yea, I discovered what the problem was with the HS40.The flywheel key was just starting to shear. It retarded the timing just enough that it still ran but had no power and was running hot.

New key and it ran fine. Took it to Windber 2015 (in the mud.....)